Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unidentified archaic piece I found. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unidentified archaic piece I found. Help!

I found this piece at the same site where I have found Daltons, Rice Lobbed, and turtleback scrapers. I'm for sure the site is an archaic campsite that was exposed when a hilltop overlooking the Arkansas River was scalped so a cell phone tower could be constructed. The piece in question is made of a blue-cream marbled flint. The base is very thin but after the very weak shoulders the body becomes thick and clunky. The faces are well flaked but the blade edges are rough and the tip is "chewed up" without showing signs of modern breaks. It is 2 5/8" long and 5/8" at its widest point (shoulders) I'm stumped on this rock from Crawford Co. AR. Any help or feedback would put my mind at ease. Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum. Can't help on type-that one looks like it was used and abused, lol
    Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Dont you hate it when that happens!!! Here is the last piece I found at that spot before the cell tower went up with a fence around it and the ominous KEEP OUT sign. It is used but the colorful chert makes it not so abused. I really miss that spot.

Comment

The first one appears to be a Searcy, the second (red) one looks like a Jakie.

Comment

:unsure: Searcy was the closest match I could find using my Overstreet books. But the thickness through me off. Thanks, now I can claim to have a Searcy in my collection. I have had a few locals tell me that the second one (red one) is a resharpened Dalton Classic. As I understand it, Jackie's are not to common here in my area of West Central Arkansas. Who wouldn't claim a Dalton right? Can you please explain to me; What is the difference between a Jackie and a Dalton since both have the archaic flaking? Your answer would be educational to me. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X