Need help to identify please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help to identify please

Can anyone help me identify this Arrowhead?  See the sides, is that where it has been resharpened so many times?

yes, it's been resharpened several times at least.  Looks like also sharpened, kept sharp and conserved material by beveling.  Also looks like it was resharpened in the haft.  Nice find!
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

tomclark wrote:

yes, it's been resharpened several times at least.  Looks like also sharpened, kept sharp and conserved material by beveling.  Also looks like it was resharpened in the haft.  Nice find!
        Tom you nailed it.
      The resharpening on the shaft is absolute. They did not bother with attempting to finish out. When it became convenient they most likely replaced the point and put that one aside.
      Bone2stone
      It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
      It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
      Circa:1982

Comment

So bone are you saying they just never used it or just never finished it? I have found some peices that look like they were ready to use but just never put an edge on them. And was wondering why,I have found points and small knifves like that. The rite shape and size but no flaked edges. Just wondering

Comment

My best guess would be an Early Archaic corner notch, probably Lost Lake due to the bevel. As others have said, resharpened to death and most likely a discard. Still a very nice point.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

It's a Lost Lake that had an impact with something at the tip causing that burination down the side.

Comment

Here is another one. It has been sharpened a lot also, but it does have flaking on the edge.

Comment

Your second example is also Lost Lake. These are very desirable points where I come from! It also appears to have a burinated tip which I find unusual. Matt, if you are out there, question to you. Do you believe in purposely burination of tools? I feel I have a few, including a nice big corner notch. Sharon, I like your point. Ray
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Working...
                X