First find in a long time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First find in a long time

I found this back in 2013 and it was my first find in, well, my only find in the 2000's. I found it while walking an old farm road on a friends farm. It was in the high spot of the road in between the 2 sets of low spots of the road. I just happened to glance down and realized that what I was looking at had been worked by the color more than anything. I found the middle piece first and then poked a bit and found the other two all within a few inches. The place is a perfect spot for hunting as it's on a point in the bend of the Red River in Middle TN (northwest corner). The other side of the river is a sheer bluff. I'd love to go back, but my friends family has since sold the farm. I brushed it off and put it on my night stand and shortly after my wife framed all of my points for me and I never got around to doing any research on it.

I'm guessing it was a spear point? It's too big to be an atlatl tip, right? Perhaps a knife? It's been so long since I looked any of this up that I'm beyond rusty. Is it a Benton Broad Stem Point or am I way off? Middle Archaic?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by my3sons; 01-17-2018, 01:50 PM.

I've also included some pictures of the rest (most of them) of my points. All but the one I'm singling out in the above post were found in the Loudon, TN area. All of my points from NW Alabama are in a shoebox somewhere at my parents house.

Comment

Some nice points in your collection, thanks for sharing with us.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

There will be someone from your area come along shortly.
        east Tx.

Comment

The one in question is a knife, not sure about type ?? It’s shaped weird on that one bottom side .... someone will be by from your area .... u have some very nice points in that cluster , thanks for sharing
          As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
          NW Arkansas

Comment

I think there was a 4th missing piece of the bottom left of the one in question. That's cool that its a knife.

Comment

Nice collection. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

You've sure picked up some nice ones. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice knife!
                  South Dakota

Comment

I agree, it's some type of knife.😀

Comment

Working...
                    X