Help with point id please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with point id please

Well, our snow all melted and it was in the 60's today so I figured I would head to the river bottoms in west central Missouri. I found this lil guy on an eroded bank and was hoping someone could help me with identification. It looks similar to several in my Overstreet's but its so small. Thank you in advance for the assistance. Tim

What a sweet little point .
    looking in overstreet . Those guys in your area will know .

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the compliment.

Nice one
    South Dakota

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the complement.

Good find there. No help with ID.

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment.

Sweet little point but coming up with no clue. Where's Josh?
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment.

It looks small enough to be a true arrow point. If so, it would be Woodland culture forward and that should rule out many look alike earlier types. Nice find

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the help.

I thinks it's a Woodland corner notched arrow point. Nice one! 😀

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the comment.

Hey Armyman. Nice little arrowpoint there. I find many Woodland era points in my area of Illinois and some are hard to nail down exactly. I was looking at a site that I use frequently and your point had the best resemblance to what was called a Creston which are found in Iowa and you being where you are is in proximity of that range. If you want to give it a look the site is www.projectilepoints.net. Nice find. I didn't check Overstreets or my Illinois book though but that Creston had a strong resemblance and fit the time era.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the information. I was looking at both Overstreet's and at projectile point.net and was wondering if maybe it could be a small King? They are late archaic to woodland time period and described as being a small to medium point. Mine resembles some of the pics to my new untrained eyes and it fits well within the region since I found it in an area where west central Missouri transitions to south west Missouri. Any thoughts? I will definitely check out the Creston though.

Maybe a small Apple Creek

Comment

Working...
    X