Stone Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stone Ball

At risk of great ridicule I present this stone ball. It's been sitting on my desk for over a week and everyone who sees it asks what it is. I thought it was just a round rock, but I know nothing about stone tools. This was found in the general area of a lot of lithic debris.
    Kevin - North/Central Texas

It is most likely a knapping tool or some type of tool they used, I have heard the round ones called game stones also all these in the bowl are round but have a dimple on them and were used as knapping stones or tools to make other tools. They are pretty neat and I ke Click image for larger version  Name:	100_5665.JPG Views:	1 Size:	132.0 KB ID:	282158 ep all I find.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• CTex
      CTex commented
      Editing a comment
      I really thought I was off on this one, thanks for sharing!!

The one on the bottom left is an egg stone which has a dimple on the end and will stand up on this dimple by itself.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I think its just a nodule of flint. The surface of it doesn't look to hammered.

Comment

Probably a hammer stone like johnny said . They can come in different styles . Even though this one is broken you can see the pecking on one side then a smoothing area on top . Most of all mine are balls though .

Comment

You will never get great ridicule here. You might not get the answer you were hoping for though. Those round rocks are tough sometimes. I’m not seeing a spot showing use wear indicating a hammerstone. Maybe it’s there, but I couldn’t see it. Some are gamestones and some are natural. I pick them all up, because they are unique. I really can’t say for sure on yours. It could be as Johny said. How’s that for being vague? 🙂. There are more experienced people here than me that will share their thoughts..
          South Dakota

Comment

Well, this is bad news for me. I picked up a round stone very similar to these pics from a site I search. It had a fairly deep dimple in it. Thought it might be a tool, but after a few weeks I decided it was just an unusual rock, so decided to try it out as a hammer stone.
            I broke it.
            Thanks guys, now I'm regretting my decision
            Winters in Arizona, summers in Michigan's UP. What could be better?

Comment

Hard to say???????? a rock????? fer sure.....an artifact???????? I am not seeing any use wear. I come across many round rocks most are just that, round rocks. Just my 2 cents worth.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

There are rocks that regardless their use or natural state, you just have to bring it home. Rounds & triangles are natural shapes, whether rocks or glass-- anything that gets tumbled.
                So you broke it. That's how man has learned down through the ages what works & what doesn't. Join the Ancients. Lol
                Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                X