tool question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tool question

I found this in west central Missouri river bottoms on an eroded bank. Is it a small adze or a broken adze...or something entirely different. I apologize for the quality of photos but theyre the best I could get right now. The object almost has a helical type twist to it that was difficult to capture in the photos, one side looks like it may have been notched for hafting possibly, and one side of it is thinner/sharper than the other. Thank you in advance for your assistance. Tim

Sorry can't help with what that may be, but I just wanted to comment on how beautiful that material is. Is it made out of petrified wood?

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      It does kind of look like petrified wood...I just thought that the striations/lines were from grinding or usage. I'm new to this hobby and still learning though. Thanks for the comment.

Yeah I was thinking the exact same thing as Rock on. That lithic is very nice. It was definitely worked for some purpose. The base looks broken but what about those notch looking voids on the sides? Maybe just a tumbling over the years? Very interesting find there Armyman. It does get thicker toward what was the base at one time. Small adze/woodworking tool is a pretty good surmise to me...given the thickness toward the base. Way cool find man!!!
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the comment and insight.

Could be a knapped axe or Celt. It sure is pretty material
    South Dakota

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the complement and help. I thought it was rather unusual material as well.

Wowee that's killer material. I think they just gave up on it when working it due to mistake and material. Has to be a definite length and width, plus no or minimal mistakes, to get the tool you want.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

• armyman5k
      armyman5k commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the clarification.
Working...
X