Found yesterday...Was this of use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found yesterday...Was this of use

I found this one yesterday. It has 2 perfectly aligned holes running thru and thru.

The photos are basically too dark, around the holes, to really see if the holes are biconically drilled, which they would be if drilled by Native Americans. Enlarging as best I could, it doesn't look like they are, and I will go with natural.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Arrowguy - Not sure where you're from or where you found it, but I have a little knowledge regarding rocks like that from the upper Great Lakes. When a small pebble of harder material is resting on a host rock underwater, over thousands or millions of years, wave action will move the pebble around enough to eventually grind a hole in the softer host rock. This is clearly evident on huge sandstone slabs in Lake Superior.
      Could your rock have come from an area that was under water at one time?
      Winters in Arizona, summers in Michigan's UP. What could be better?

Comment

Looks like Tallahatta quartzite and if it is you find it with root holes through it all the time. On the second photo there looks like a place where some of the root is still in it the brown crumbly material.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

If Chris ever gets on here ask him. He got a box of rocks like this courtesy of the South shore of Lake Michigan. Arti Facters answer is spot on.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

yes, as Greg mentioned...I have a bunch of those! they are a natural occurrence.
            Southern Connecticut

Comment

Agreed
              As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
              NW Arkansas

Comment

Working...
              X