X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This a Tool

Curious as to shaft or handle..would this be some sort of tool
    Attached Files

That's definitely a stem that I have never seen before in my area but I am far away from South Georgia. Can u place something in a pic for a size reference/scale? Show some other angles if you could also. It is a unique looking piece to me but hard to say just what it is without some scale of size and different angles.
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• southgeorgiagirl
      southgeorgiagirl commented
      Editing a comment
      It is currently in a framed display.

Heck of a dart point! The stem seems to be fashioned out of the parts they usually take off "impurities". May have been much longer when he first started working on it and was happily surprised to be able to work it. Is that stem ground like it looks?
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

I have never seen anything like that before.
      South Dakota

Comment

I'm hesitant to call that a projectile point. Really to know or at least have a good idea of what the piece is, we would need to see both sides. Also something for scale would be helpful. Looking at the one face I can see the flaking reminds me of something you might see on a debitage flake, but this item is obviously modified to be some type of tool. And is the "stem" actually a stem or are we looking at this backwards and possibly a broken drill form, un ifacial flake tool, or stemmed knife/point? Hard if not impossible to know without seeing both faces imo.

It is a very interesting item with a nice deep patina! Thanks for sharing!

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Damn -sure would like to see both sides. We're all thinking the same thing. Need more pics but being framed makes that near impossible. Depends how bad SGG wants to know about the piece. Do you think the stem could have worked from the original lithic material - like a elongated stem - or is it attached separately. It looks darker and smoother than the other lithic. Intriguing!!
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

If its a dart point that stem does not seem to be conducive to a projectile being launched with any kind of force. The stem looks like a weak point from that perspective. Maybe a fish spear that was attached to the side of a shaft? Again its hard to say by that one pic and without any bio on it as well. It sure has me interested as I have never seen one like that.
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Was this a personal find?
              Bruce
              In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• southgeorgiagirl
                southgeorgiagirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes a personal find by a family member who just passed away. He was an artifact hunter in Southwest Ga his entire life and passed away at age 90 in Nov 2017.

I have seen a point like this in S Georgia . It was all one color a red jasper but very small like a inch . My friend picked it up in a food plot we were in . Asked three times for a pic but nothing . The stem was the same size as the point . Length wise . Very unusual .
              He said exotic or a kid trying something .
              What I like is that flaking on the top side .
              Do wish you could take some more pics .

Comment

• BabaORiley
                BabaORiley commented
                Editing a comment
                Possibly a localized point? Ya never know maybe the same people/peoples tried something in that area that just never caught on...fun to think about those things...

Kind of looks like a macro point but we need better pictures

Comment

Working...
              X