Please educate me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please educate me!

Found in Eastern Kansas along creekbed halfway buried in soil. What can you tell me about this? I am a novice and found this while deer hunting.

Firstly Basspro05 - Welcome Aboard. We're glad you're a member of our website. Now - I'm not very knowledgeable on your area North Central but some of our members are and will probably weigh in. However, in the meantime, you can do a lot to assist with identifying that blade. You need clearer pictures, show both sides, put a quarter or ruler in the pic to help with size comparison. These are the basics you need to follow if you expect someone to help you classify and identify a point. All I can tell you from your picture is that you have a stemmed artifact that appears to be medium to large sized.
    and possibly reworked on one side. Better pictures may help identify the flaking pattern if there is one, whether it has beveled blade edges and if the base has been ground or thinned. All these are characteristics that often help differentiate between the many identifications within a given area of the U.S. Keep watching and see what other members have to say. That looks like a super piece.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hope to see some better pictures. Thanks for sharing and welcome.
      South Dakota

Comment

It would help to know the size, but it has the look of an Adena stemmed point.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Here are some more pictures.unfortunately in Storing it somehow the very tip broke off!!! Also I have a picture of one my grandfather gave me, I would love to hear any thoughts on both. Both found in eastern KS thank you all

Comment

Thanks for the better photographs! Looks like you've learned one valuable lesson already, safe storage!.. This knife is out of my area but I'll take a jab anyways. I would look into the Dickson contracting stem cluster, possibly a Gary subtype such as Mabin. So that puts it being late Archaic to woodland in age. Like I said this is out of my area so I could be wrong. Its really a beautiful find and your one lucky deerhunter! Protect that thing, its old!

Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

After seeing the size, it's not an Adena.
              Child of the tides

Comment

My thoughts exactly Ky. I looked at Belknap and Hidden Valley but that contracting stem and geographic distribution that I am agreeing on the Dickson contracting cluster. Yes it is an old one...definitely take care of it...nice one man.
                The chase is better than the catch...
                I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Dadgum what a point !! If found here in NEArkansas I would call it a Dickson
                  As for me and my house , we will serve the lord

Everett Williams ,
                  NW Arkansas

Comment

Very nice Dickson

Comment

I would say a dickson find them here in s.e. nebraska yours if I am seeing a pink huge could be burlington chert

Comment

It's a dandy point for sure. Apparently it eroded out of the streambank nearby. I would keep on the lookout in the area cause the area may have been a village or camp where other tools were lost. Or it could just be a random lost point. I agree with the others that it looks like a Dickson.

Comment

I’ll just put my 2 cents in ; beautiful blade and Burlington Chert .
                          Super old keep it safe !
                          Look up the age of Archaic for appreciation of that rare find .

Comment

Thank you all for your info and input!

Comment

Looks like the Dicksons have it! Dicksons are early Woodland made by the Adena people. Very nice. 😀
                              Last edited by Pinetree1; 02-22-2018, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X