Crude Knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crude Knife?

Maybe crude knife form or some type of cutting g tool.one side Sharpe. Fits thumb perfect.nice white lithic.found along Ohio river

I think it’s just debitage, it looks quite thick and a bit too crude to have been an effective tool to me. Nice material though and your on the right track if your finding stuff like that.keep up the search!
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Thanks for the info,much appreciated.

Comment

I’ll take a minute to help you out. Ya see a lot of times we find pieces that have “ work” on them, but it’s not finish work, when you start making a tool outta stone you have to knock off a lot of excess stone first, the big chunks that come off first were usually done with a hammerstone or billet and DO show work on them, especially on the top side of said flake or chunk because that’s we’re they were getting “ into” the stone and it shows the work left over from the pieces that were busted off on top of it. Hard to really tell from the pics but see how in the first pic the bottom is more or less flat but the top has lots of ridges and flake scars? That tells you material was removed off the top till that chuck was reached then knocked off as well leaving the flat bottom, can you see a bulb of percussion on it anywhere?

Comment

When u refer to bulb of percussion are u referring to this..and thanks this is very helpful

Comment

Here’s some examples of percussion bulbs from where the flakes were struck off

Comment

It usually looks like a small flat area somewhere along the flake and sometimes you can even see the “ ripples or waves “on the bottom of said flake or chunk where the force of the strike traveled thru the stone

Comment

Yeah that stuff does look familiar Ive found alot of rock broke up like that

Comment

Yeah I think I find broke or being worked stuff much more fascinating than the perfect whole point or tool..shows the puzzle they faced making these things.i think

Comment

• Havenhunter
                    Havenhunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now you're talking like an artifact hunter & not just a novice collector.

Check out some videos on youtube on Abo flintknapping it’ll help you learn a lot. Hope this helps!

Comment

thanks u have helped me a ton in understanding that.ill watch some Vids n see some techniques.itll def help in my understanding of how it's made.

Comment

World man , I have watched so many utube videos and they are really interesting .
                    look at some of the points Ron has made . Explains what I find .

Comment

Working...
                    X