Help IDing these points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help IDing these points

CCR here, I am new to this site, I live in SE NC, in a coastal county about 14 miles from the ocean. Most of my hunting is done on the farm I grew up on and the adjoining farm that I have permission to search, apx a 2 mile X 2 mile area with a river border and many creeks/branches running thru it. I have some points that I have struggled to ID, these all come from one small field, the numbering you see on the points is my cataloging system. I have my ideas of what each is but I do not trust my guesses and would like some fresh eyes on them from some folks who have more knowledge than I do. Pics are front and back. Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0370.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	286593 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0371.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	286594 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0378.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	286595 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0379.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	286596 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0380.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	286597 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0381.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	286598 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0382.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	286599 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0383.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	286600 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome from east Tn!

Wonderful photos for helping ID. We rarely get that on a first poster, so thanks! Someone from your area should have some ideas about what you have before long. Thanks for sharing!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Hey CCR - Glad to see you made it and WOW what a post. Ya dun good. Welcome Aboard our website. Beings I'm from Tennessee I'm not very well versed in points from your area but we have members that are. I will say that those appear to be in rough shape in that there appears to be a lot of weathering or wear on the surface that covers up much of the flaking detail. Still - let's wait and see what more knowledgeable members have to say. Again - Welcome and we're glad to have you.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the good pictures.
        Bruce
        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Hi CCR and welcome to the forum. Excellent photos and explanation. I, too, am not from your area so I won't voice an opinion now as to types. I'll wait till some of the folks from the east coast to help first. I'll keep an eye on the thread and if no one comes along to give better help, I'll dig into some references and see what I can come up with. The lithic is a type that usually is hard to work with and consequently lots of those points from your area look kinda crude but I think those old folks were doing the best they could with the materials available.

Comment

Maybe morrow morrow mountain type. Welcome to arrowheads.com
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Yes, this small field never had a tractor in it much bigger than a Ford 8N, (mostly mules) but it has been plowed since the 1700s, that is a lot of rolling for the lighter sedimentary materials these natives had to work with. Some of the harder stuff I have found has a lot of flaking detail but of course that was fairly easy to ID. In order not to influence others opinions I still won't say what I have guessed at, because whatever the general consensus is, whether it matches my guesses or not, that is what I'm going with. Keep it coming and thanks.
              CCR

Comment

Welcome!
                No clue here being from Indiana but be patient there are a few folks here from your neck of the woods.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi CCR welcome from the other end of the state I'm in Buncombe. Like the others said awesome pictures. I'm going Morrow Mountains on all but the second which might be a Savannah River but it is in rough shape and can't say for sure due to damage. All in all some cool and old finds congratulations. Good to see another NC member hope you have lots to share in the future!
                  N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Nice Thanks !!!! Sugree looks to be spot on.
                    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Welcome to AH.com and finally a newbie who knows how to post photos & info. Thank you! I'm from the Virginia tidewater & spend a fair amount of time on the OBX where, surprisingly, there are artifacts found.
                      My first guess is Morrow Mt. with a Savannah River thrown in. Like so many points in our region exposed to water, wind, tides, & salt, not to mention the material, your points are crude and many are overlooked as just rocks.
                      Your topo description sounds ideal for finds!
                      Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome from rainy southwestern Ontario.

Comment

I've got nothing to help you with the I.D. as I'm in Montana, but I wanted to say if your handle "CCR " is a reference to the band then you score additional points with me as I am a big fan of their stuff.
                          Judith Basin, Montana

Comment

Cskelton, I also am a fan, but CCR is my initals, so I can buy a Colorado Rockies hat and its already monogrammed, ain't much but its something.

Comment

Alright, I had ST 4 as a MM, then changed my mind to Chesapeake Diamond, found out that was not a valid type, so good to hear MM on that one. I had ST 8 as an MM2 but due to wear Savannah River sounds as likely, I think MM was my fall back since at least half of the stuff that field produces are MMs. ST 9 same as ST 4. I had ST 10 as MM2, so thanks for validating. This was great but raises more questions on some of my other litchis, should I continue here or go back to "what did I find"?
                              CCR

Comment

Working...
                              X