Group ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group ID

What I do when I cant hunt is try and learn more about where I hunt and how to go about hunting. This has become an obsession and you people are partly to blame!!
    I know these are not "pretty" points, but I'm trying to date my finds and map their locations. I had theses all grouped together, but after further review I don't think they are the same thing. Can anyone tell me if you think these are related and possible ID? I think they are mostly Late to Transitional Archaic, location is Central Texas, Hamilton County.
    Kevin - North/Central Texas

Kevin - North/Central Texas

Comment

Wish I could help ya with it but Central Texas is way outta my realm here in NEastern Illinois. We probably have some Texans here that can help out. For your own research I recommend this site www.projectilepoints.net its a pretty good ID site. And who cares about "pretty points" I have numerous "Illinois uglies". Texas is a hotbed of artifacts...strange enough though I don't see many hardstones from there...nice finds anyway...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• CTex
        CTex commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually spend way too much time on projectilepoints.net these days, as a matter of fact, if my employer ever checks my browser history, all he will find is that and arrowheads.com. I guess that might free up a lot more of my time for hunting. My favorite from the group is the second, really ugly one. The patina is awesome.

Hey CT. I just took a quick look on that site and theres a lot of resemblance to what is typed as a Travis found mainly in Central Texas. It looked very close but it was just a quick search out of curiosity...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• CTex
        CTex commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked at the Travis type pretty hard yesterday and for some reason talked myself out of it. After looking at it more today, I like it for at least a couple of the points in the group. I was looking at the Wells as another option. Thanks!!

There are no ugly points on this site. Crude maybe, but not ugly. Keep showing your finds but make the boss happy first!
      Child of the tides

Comment

From . cool I think this is an arrowhead to, what is it, how did it get here, who made it, what was it used for, what's the material.????????? Don't you love it?
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Not from Tx but i always love to see those finds and those materials
          Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

Wish I could help, Texas Typology well western typology in general eludes me. Its just like my brain will not allow the space needed to absorb it lol. Maybe someday...
            Those are nice finds though, and I'm sure eventually you'll get some good ol Texas expertise. Sorry if you feel like its hard getting help with your questions, sometimes we are thin on expertise from certain areas. We do have knowledgable members from that area that drop in but not as many active posters from there as we've had here in the past... You took some good photos for whoever can help you out. Thanks for sharing!
            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Pointhead
              Pointhead commented
              Editing a comment
              CTex To piggy back from that... maybe you’ll end up being our Texas expert someday?

• CTex
              CTex commented
              Editing a comment
              I’ve received a great deal of help on this forum, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here willing to share. Sometimes it’s hard to get the intent of a statement across properly on a forum, which is why that other thread blew up in the first place. Thanks for taking a look, and if the passion for this hobby continues like it is, I fully expect to be able to help others in the future.

Texas not only has great prehistoric finds, but the tribes who warred against both the Mexican & Anglo American invaders & settlers made some awesome weapons as well.
            I would think at some point you will find some of both.
            Child of the tides

Comment

Way to keep learning!
              South Dakota

Comment

Working...
              X