Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tomahawk, hammer? And a nasty, sharp point of some kind of the other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomahawk, hammer? And a nasty, sharp point of some kind of the other?

I had a very successful hunt yesterday in a creek (Jackson Co, Mo) and found several "iffy" kinda stones! Would anyone give me their views on if this is a hammer, tomahawk or other tool?

About this other point... I'm not sure if it is a projectile or not, but is it SHARP AS CAN BE. Almost all there (missing one corner). Anyone have ideas? Thanks a lot!
    Jackson County, Mo

Appear to be spalls not tools, In my opinion there are no projectile points in your photos.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Eastern
      Eastern commented
      Editing a comment
      Can I ask what a spall is? Thanks!

A spall is a large flake. The action of spalling is to break a larger rock down into smaller pieces. Sometimes masons will use the word spall or spalling when discussing damage to bricks or masonry. However in the context I am using It is a large flake of lithic material. In your third picture that is a rock. It could be used to spall other stones it does have a beat up end on it but I am not sure if that is just weathered cortex or if it was actually used to spall other material.
    Last edited by Hoss; 04-14-2018, 10:02 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Eastern
      Eastern commented
      Editing a comment
      I thoroughly enjoy this forum! I sincerely appreciate sharing your knowledge! I learn so much!

Have to agree with Hoss. I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that any of those pieces were worked by man in any way.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Working...
    X