More Georgia Quartz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Georgia Quartz

I went back to my rock shelter site in Northeast Georgia today after a good rain. I turned up a lot of flakes, which I’m comfortable enough with not to post now, as well as my first pottery shred (I think Woodland - posted it in the appropriate place). I also found these flakes/preforms/tools and I was wondering whether anyone could tell whether they were anything. I have front and back photos of everything.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	296329 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	296330

The first one is weirdly shaped and rough, but shows definite heavy working. Does it look like it might have been a crude bifurcated point that either didn’t turn out right or got broken, or perhaps a drill/tool? It seems to have a split in it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	71.7 KB ID:	296331 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	296332
    The second one doesn’t show a lot of clear working, but I picked it up thinking it might be a preform or something.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	76.9 KB ID:	296333 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	72.2 KB ID:	296334

The third is very small (~2cm), but looks a lot like a scraper. It shows more work than just a flake, with several scars. Is it too small to have been used? It is sharp on the edge and have a somewhat grooved base.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	296335 Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	296336

The last one is more like a flake, but also shows more than one scarring point. The edge also looks uneven. Could it have been used for something, or is it just a waste piece?
    Last edited by silvereel; 04-16-2018, 08:36 PM.

That’s the thing with 95% of the Quartz I find in Georgia .
    It’s damaged and really hard to find nice pressure flaking .
    Yout first 2 pics are examples of what I am talking about .
    Pic3-6th look like scrappers .
    The last one is probably a reduction flake but someone might see a style .
    I don’t see your pottery but if it’s NA in your area it’s probably Swiftcreek with a paddle stamp .
    Look that up .

Comment

Thanks for looking them over. It’s tough figuring the quartz stuff, but it’s interesting in its own way. And there are some beauties out there. The link for the pottery I found is: https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...-stamped-shard
      Definitely stamped.

Comment

Oh I missed Jethro . He is great at pottery .
        But look up the Swiftcreek they occupied that area as well .
        I have pieces like that .. all kinds of interesting stamps modern man has named .

Comment

You know what’s exciting is if you found pottery and some tools you are probably on a camp . All that rain yesterday I would just die to be out there looking now .

Comment

Working...
          X