A couple rough items, and questions about my site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple rough items, and questions about my site

I am in SW Missouri (Lawrence County), and I have posted a few items here in the past. I have been walking our deer plot this spring (plowed last year) and I seem to find a lot of what may be rough debitage, and a few pieces with some work. I find it really interesting.

There is lots and lots of chert that is simply plow-broken, or weather-broken, or time-broken. I'm hoping that some of you can chime in and tell me whether its likely that I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing: an area where flint may have been preliminarily broken down, with the good pieces maybe carried away for further work elsewhere. I have so far not found anything finished in here, the few pieces I have posted in the past are from other little areas of our land. So I'm going to post a little series of pics, try to get you all to put yourselves in my place and see what you think.

OK, this is a view of part of the deer plot. Looking at it makes me remember one of the geologic soil descriptions we read when we were buying the place: extremely cobbly silt loam is what it said. Yup, definitely cobbly!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	resize 20180422_144945.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	296777

A closer pic of a smallish cobble with boot for scale, just to show what's typical.

Name:	resize 20180422_145132.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	296778

A newly weather-split rock with the thick "rind" area and more cherty-flinty area showing. I pulled this one out today and washed it off a bit.

Name:	resize 20180422_151555.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	296779

A random group of debitage/very slightly worked looking stuff that I've pulled out of this plot over a couple of walks. For size reference the wood is a telephone pole. Many similar pieces not pulled out. Lots of pieces that seem to have a platform that the knapper may have used to strike.

Name:	resize 20180422_151615.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	296780

A couple of items that do show clear evidence of work. One seems to be kind of a roughed-out shape with no edge work and then breakage (sorry no edge shot but it does have a proper biconvex cross section), and the other seems to show some quick serration work.

Name:	resize IMG_0987.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	296781

Name:	resize IMG_0984.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	296782

I'm really enjoying looking at all this stuff and thinking about the people doing some prelim work here, and making a few quick tools as needed.

After walking this plot and the intermittent creeks/draws a few times this spring, I have the following tune stuck in my head which those of you around in the 1970s may appreciate: "Everything is de...bitage....in its own way, hey hey."

Interested in what you all think...I know they're not shiny like other folks' toys!

Nice plot!
    Child of the tides

Comment

Okay so from my perspective you are on a quarry site. Not much will be found there. It is a place to acquire raw material for travel, Don't get me wrong you will find things that show work and that is important.But if you seek to find the finished points then its not there usually. Its been my experience that it was broken up to transport. broken down into usable pieces. Here is a few examples of what I take from what I have seen. .
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0195 (800x600).jpg Views:	2 Size:	228.1 KB ID:	296811 Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN0197 (800x600).jpg Views:	2 Size:	142.2 KB ID:	296812 Click image for larger version  Name:	1014111321.jpg Views:	2 Size:	179.2 KB ID:	296813 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010410.JPG Views:	2 Size:	217.3 KB ID:	296814
      Last edited by chase; 04-23-2018, 06:11 AM.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

• jinmo
        jinmo commented
        Editing a comment
        Chase, thank you for this answer and the detailed pics. I'm glad to have confirmation that my thoughts about this spot were kind of tending in the same direction as yours.

• OnewiththewilD
        OnewiththewilD commented
        Editing a comment
        Geez!!

It look's like a Sod Farm. Probably a Camp nearby though.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• jinmo
        jinmo commented
        Editing a comment
        Josh, what's a sod farm in this context? Thanks!

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        Grass Farm, They keep peeling topsoil away. But I guess It isn't, I have heard of one possibly out that way.

Jinmo, not to get your hopes up, but a few months ago Chase led me to the same conclusion that I was on a Quarry site. After reading all I could on quarry sites I was a bit dejected that worked pieces were rare at quarry sites. I hunt two properties that are about a mile and a half apart and both have quarry sites on them.. One has produced a grand total of 4 worked pieces while the other has produced well over a hundred ranging from Early Archaic to Late Prehistoric. I'm with Josh, look for that camp, it might pay off.
      Kevin - North/Central Texas

Comment

Thanks Josh and Kevin...I will not lose hope. Only 40 acres here though so any camp might be off our place. But I will keep looking. And Havenhunter, thx for compliment on the plot, this is its second year and it is getting chewed down regularly. Scared 9 deer out of it the other day.

Comment

Working...
        X