Bolo/egg /hammer stone or “just rocks”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolo/egg /hammer stone or “just rocks”

So I realize people post round rocks a lot, and I know the response “does it show pecking, wear/polished marks or impact fractures?” Well..maybe? What do you all think? They were found about 15 yards apart (admittedly at different times). In the past two years of searching my hunting area, that shape is quite anomalous. The creek is mostly broken shale/slate and irregular creek cobble. The smaller one looks a lot like a bolo stone, but I don't think they are found in Ohio (Franklin Co.) it has what appears to be a groove, but it disappears half way around and a dimple/impact spot on one side. Anyway, I'd like to hear other opinions on them. Thanks in advance.
    Central Ohio

A couple close ups.
    Central Ohio

Comment

Hmm, the first looks like it could have been grooved (full?) and the other pics show what appears to me to be a hammerstone, the black rock I can’t tell though
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

the smaller one looks like a hammer stone to me the larger one looks natural.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I agree with Hoss. Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I found a broken bolo stone . Big grove on just half of it .
            It was repurposed into a hammerstone and polishing stone .
            after researching this thing like crazy and looking at so many examples they are not all perfect eggs . Just like points things happen . One looks like a hamburger that I saw ( that shape )
            just my point of view after finding one and my grove is exactly like yours .
            There is a high chance to me that it is one .

Comment

Some are perfect polished egg shapes and some look like this
              . I think you have a great find there . Take it to a show for second look I am no expert .

Comment

• flintguy
                flintguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Tam. Yea, bolo stones are a very interesting artifacsts once you start digging into them. They all have a basic size but then such a wide variety of styles. Some polished, some rough, different groves or dimples. Then all the debate over their use. A weapon that sometimes may have been re appropriated into game balls, trade items, cooking balls or hammer stones. I'd like to think I found one but since they seem rare and are usually found in the south, I still wonder. However, living were I do, in the center of the former Adena/Hopewell cultural, they had a larger trading area, I suppose it's possible to find just about anything around here.
            Working...
            X