Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some firsts for me... can anyone help ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some firsts for me... can anyone help ID?

Hello all... I've read so many posts from this site, but this is my first writing one. I've been hunting arrowhead for a few years. I've found lots of flakes, some nice points, some brokes, hammer stones, and a celt. Well the other night I went out for a couple hours of searching and found 3 items that are completely new to me and I'd like your help. The point is very much not typical color for my area (PA/NY state line), at least nothing I've found or seen found. I've never found a bead, so don't know if its a trade bead or not. Finally, I've found lots of modern pottery/porcelain pieces in fields, but this piece is different. Seems like potter, but also reminds me of bone a little. Weird that its white on outside and almost burnt black on inside. Thanks for your thoughts!

I really like that point, nice find

Comment

Originally posted by Dave NWOH View Post
      I really like that point, nice find
      Thank you. It's definitely my favorite so far. Never imagined finding something of that color.

Comment

Are those pottery shards?
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Hickory nut shell.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro355 View Post
            Are those pottery shards?
            Its the same piece, inside and outside pictured. I've never found anything like it.

Comment

If the point is damaged at the base as it appears, and you fill in the damaged areas, then you would have an Adena related point, with a some what rounded base. The material is probably a cobble chert, which is found most every where, but doesn't have a quarry source for large amounts. Glaciation carried hundreds of odd flint and chert cobbles down into Ny and Pa., many that originated in Canada, and then they were left here when the glaciers receded. But cobble cherts were a good source of material. The little pieces I don't know. They're odd. The bead is a trade bead, commonly found on Indian historic sites dating from 1650 - 1700. Pa/Ny state line is a little vague. What part of Pa/Ny, west,central, or eastern area. That would define if the bead is Seneca, Oneida, Onondaga, etc.
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pkfrey View Post
                If the point is damaged at the base as it appears, and you fill in the damaged areas, then you would have an Adena related point, with a some what rounded base. The material is probably a cobble chert, which is found most every where, but doesn't have a quarry source for large amounts. Glaciation carried hundreds of odd flint and chert cobbles down into Ny and Pa., many that originated in Canada, and then they were left here when the glaciers receded. But cobble cherts were a good source of material. The little pieces I don't know. They're odd. The bead is a trade bead, commonly found on Indian historic sites dating from 1650 - 1700. Pa/Ny state line is a little vague. What part of Pa/Ny, west,central, or eastern area. That would define if the bead is Seneca, Oneida, Onondaga, etc.
                Thanks for the info pkfrey! I'm really stoked to have found an arrowhead made of that material. My grandparents hunted many years around the area and I never saw one. I feel as if its something I may never find again. The local historical society had nothing with that material. I'm definitely treated as a one of a kind for me. I'd call this area of the states west/centeral. Allegany County NY, Potter County PA.

Comment

OK, coming from the Potter Co./Allegany Co, NY area, your trade bead ( and should be glass ) would be Seneca or Cayuga, and closer to 1700. The Seneca and Cayuga inhabited most of that particular area from about 1650 to 1740. Where ever you found that, there should be more. And there are a variety of nice trade beads from that time period on historic sites. If you happen to find a site that produces trade beads, this book by Gary Fogelman, Trade Beads of the Northeast, comes with a fold out chart with colored photos of every type of bead found in Pa./NY. Yours is at the top middle of the chart, marked 1650. It's a round black, monochrome bead.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07837.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	301660
                  Last edited by pkfrey; 05-25-2018, 05:39 PM.
                  http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X