Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's Finds - Is This Incredible?! You Tell Me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Finds - Is This Incredible?! You Tell Me...

You can see my favorite there, the comparatively big no-brainer in the middle, but... what is that piece in the bottom right?? This whole thread is now devoted to it... it is through contacts on this forum I had learned more about a separate "salvaged double crescent bannerstone" in my first post, so relatively new to any banded slate artifact I had been wondering if this is a piece of gorget or something to the effect? Just can't get over the symmetry, and will appreciate the 2 cents of pretty much anybody on here, since a lot of you seem pretty knowledgeable in these areas. Ssssooo... what say you?? Very curious over here. Give me the fact of the matter as you see it - All of these finds in a field in Mercer County, PA by the Shenango River
    Last edited by Pointdexter; 06-21-2018, 11:05 PM.

Looks like a broken ? Gorget or bannerstone that was in process of being salvaged.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That's what I had been hoping, Hoss! Your insight on it in the process of being salvaged even then is enlightening, though, and I bet you nailed it! Just check out the marks along where it's broken - neat, huh?! Everybody agree with Hoss? Think gorget or bannerstone salvage?

Comment

Yes sir and I love that pic of the field . Ohhh how I would love to walk a plowed field .

Comment

That slate certainly looks worked to me. Man I wish I could find a freshly tilled field like that around here. It's all green and thick where I hunt.
          fldwlkr
          Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto

Yeah that’s a really cool find. And great points too! Man I wish I could find a finished pendant or gorget, I have one unfinished pendant and one unfinished gorget! What’s the chances of finding one of each not completed ! Lol. You got yourself a great field to hunt, your gonna pull some real gems outta that spot I know it.
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Yep, I agree. An incredible find for sure. This is a good sign of things to come. The point is pretty awesome too! Congratulations.
            northeast MS

Comment

You guys are great. From an e-mail correspondence with one of the most esteemed contacts of mine from the Dealers section of this site (been my go-to guy since my first inquiry involving banded slate artifacts)... he agrees completely with Hoss, btw, but adds the following : "absolutely that is a real and finished piece of artifact called a Pendant or a Gorget. Not only that, it has a white vein in it we refer to as a 'Ghost Mark'. AND it is engraved. This was undoubtedly a prized possession of a Native American in the Woodland Time Period."
              I know it all makes me happy! If any of you have any further info on these "ghost marks", I'd love to read all about it. Googling it just isn't cutting it.

Comment

I think ghost mark is his fancy term for a band in the slate.It was a desirable quality they looked for but that’s why they used banded slate in the first place

Comment

• Pointdexter
                  Pointdexter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I get the band in the slate, Jay... I have a "salvaged double crescent bannerstone" with regular bands in the slate... but check out that white part, that checkmark-looking part he had been referring to! Anyway, had to revisit this since I just entered it in that June contest

Looking at the pics again, I don’t think it’s engraving as in making a design, it appears to have been scored repeatedly on both sides perhaps to snap off it’s damaged end to rework it.

Comment

Working...
                X