Did I find a point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I find a point?

Not sure,any ideas.not sure what it's made of.found in beaver co pa,in a top of a hill near a farm.

Oh man! That’s just not fair! Dude I’m sorry but I don’t think it is, BUT! your got the eye I know you do, you just gotta find that one first real piece and I think it’ll all start to click for you. And I really admire your persistence in this, I know we’ve been a bit salty here and there but you keep trying and keep learning, your bound to find something awesome soon I know it.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Agreed with Jay. It sure has that shape and your getting close. The real one is footsteps away...its a comin...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Hey WM304 - agree with Jay and Frank. The rough shape is there but no detail to show it has been worked. Keep plugging - you've got the eye for it.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys something good is close

Comment

Nature's cruel Trick. Better luck next time though!
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Been fooled many times by quartz that looks like that. Same arrowhead shape, but was an arrow-wrong.

Here's a tip I always use...look at the material. Its not good quality. If you find a point and it still holds an edge after several thousand years, thats good material. I have found "practice" points made from sandstone that young kids would make so that good material wasnt wasted. Waste the plentiful crap rocks, save the good.

Arrowheads, spearpoints, and any other stone tools were their lives!! Without them they couldnt hunt or even live. They would want the best of the best.

Comment

I get fooled by red leafs all the time, the leaf color in the fall looks like a nice little rhyolite point sitting in the dirt. I always say if it catches your eye you better pick it up!
                Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

Fakers happen often. Listen man you're getting close. I spent a long time bringing rocks home before I had an understanding of what I was looking for, it takes time. Knowing where to look and how to spot these things is a skill that must be fine tuned. If you didn't have the bug you would have bounced long ago, your persistence will pay off. Right now you're spotting shapes, that's important, it will find you points. Learning the lithics used in your area will help you. Many are very distinctly colored and this can help you find points when shapes are hidden. Another clue is the appearance of worked stone. If the color is covered in dirt, and the shape is concealed, the sun hitting the conchoidal fracturing of the surface can catch your eye.

Another piece of advice I can give you is to work on recognizing the difference between a non-tool edge and the intentional edge work you will see on a tool.

Here are some examples of edge work. When you see edges like this you can be sure that you have something.

And less obvious edge work on a rougher material

Compare that to the edges on the flake pictured below.

Obviously no edge work here, it is a lithic, but it is just a flake. Just having the shape of a point isn't enough, you need to see the work on the stone. If you can't see any edge work then it's probably not a point.

Comment

Thanks metacom,thats very helpful and thanks for the pics.ill start looking for that.

Comment

Great advice by Metacom. It should be noted that there are also some tools, that you should familiarize yourself with, which don't exhibit the kind of flaking that metacom was showing. Lancets, microblades, and gravers don't always have obvious flaking along an edge. Some of them will just look like a thin flake with no edge work but they will usually have other signs that will let you know that they are tools. I.e. bulb of percussion, flake scars along the face, and/or irregular protrusions. Familiarizing yourself with these kinds of tools can be a game changer in your hunts.
                      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Here is an example. Left to right: a lancet, a graver, and a microblade. Note the flake scars on the face of the tools. Not the best pic or lighting but it conveys the idea.
                        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Some time we need to move forward from what I see let's do this
                          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Working...
                          X