Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found some flakes worked pieces,did I find anything.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found some flakes worked pieces,did I find anything.

Found in kanawha co WV. Nothing super but does look like some worked pieces.wondering if they are just flakes,or maybe a point in there,not sure any help appreciated,thanks

It is really hard to tell from this picture.
    However this is the only piece that I can see that might have some edge work.

The rest look natural to me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.PNG Views:	1 Size:	875.1 KB ID:	308199
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Hey Wordman, I have done a bit of flintknapping and some of that does look like debitage. This one looks like many of the pieces in my chip pile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	308218
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That makes sense ron,in near the source of kanawha black,and ya fins it broke up everywhere,place I'm looking appears to have a ton of broke up,and brought up the hill to spall n break down.almost like they were getting ready for a lil trip. I think im having a hard time distguishing these debage flakes.one question tho,ive done some reading and usually Paleo tools r unifaced,my question is how do I tell the difference in that.or how can I identify a uniface bonified tool or point vs debatage.aside feom just edgeware or serrations or beveling? Just some questions?

Comment

I admire your perseverance. You’re undoubtedly going to find something incredible. Keep learning and logging those hours! Those do look like flakes!
          Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• Tam
            Tam commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed

Hey Worldman, Perhaps not everyone will share my views but here goes. When you find flakes that are debitage from ancient stone work, "They are in fact ancient artifacts." A simple flake being extremely sharp, could be used to cut something up without altering it. Was a simple flake used as a tool? Only use wear could answer that question and it's a tough one. As you already know; If a flake has secondary flaking then it was altered to be used as a tool. Some people keep all the flakes they find. Some collectors pick up the flakes and dump them in a pile so they won't have to check them out on future hunts. Many collectors simply leave the flakes where they find them. I will add one more personal view: Flake knives with secondary pressure flaking are some of my favorite ancient artifacts.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Ron that's exactly how I feel.again thanks for the info and tips.it all really helps me to understand and I'm hoping coming back w better stuff Everytime the more I understand on what I'm looking for.even of it takes me 40 yrs to find something super I'm still learning and I'm thankful.just saying when I do fund that clovis or whatever everyone here helped w that journey.thanks again guys.

Comment

The first piece in the row looks worked to me too
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Looks like debitage to me. I'm one who keeps it all to document the few sites I hunt. That stuff is all part of the history and story of the site. You can also tell a bit about age, type of work, etc. just from flakes. Also, many flakes were utilized as quick tools. The 2nd piece in the photo in 2ndolman's post looks like it has microflaking either intentionally put there or from use (though the photo is a bit blurry and hard to tell.)

Comment

Can we get better pics of the fourth piece in the first pic? That might have an edge on it.

Comment

Found along ,after looking at my pile looks worked maybe knife

Comment

I agree with Ron WM .. if it’s a reduction flake , debitage it is in fact an artifact . NA have worked on them . I pick up every piece and go back and closely look at each with a manifying glass . To my surprise I have found flake tools and some broken tips off of points .
                      Your getting closer man keep it up..

Comment

I'd say you have a couple pieces in there that qualify as an artifact. I see what appears to be a Lancet(that's the one Ron expanded and commented on), the one Bruce commented on shows some pressure flaking, looks to possibly have been a small cutting tool, first piece in the row has the look of a core. I'd say you need to do more hunting in the area where these were found. Canvas the area, hit it hard and flip every stone you see. Anywhere you find flakes, flake tools, and cores, there is a good chance that more artifacts are nearby.
                        Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the comments very much appreciated and have been working on improvments since.thanks again

Comment

Wondering where ya been . Get out there and find some more .

Comment

Working...
                            X