Just picked this one up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked this one up

First of all. I would like to thank everyone that has ever replied to my post and for all the info and hospitality. No one has ever downed or made me feel like an idiot and I really appreciate it. Ok, I found this one this evening and again I am not a pro at this so I don’t know what type of point it is, so I don’t mind any help. It still amazes me that after all these years of farming these fields you can still find a whole one. My folks have farmed this field for as long as I can remember and I am 29. To find a whole one that is awesome to me. Let me say THANKS for any help ahead of time. It was found in South Georgia
    Georgia

Awesome point! Same situation with the farming family fields and whole arrowheads still to this day. I find a lot broken or chipped, but I'm almost a decade older than you, too

Comment

I will take a look in my Overstreet guide. It is packed right now for a trip to PA. Where in south GA did you find that? I am going to Savannah in august for a artifact hunting trip, and I don't know where to go yet.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Pointdexter
        Pointdexter commented
        Editing a comment
        I have one of those, and still can't identify my points. Welcome to PA though, bud.

That point May be called a Big Sandy or Taylor Side notched, just where you are the Ga book calls it a Taylor in Ga. The point has two different names just where you are located.
      Last edited by willjo; 07-14-2018, 06:46 AM.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I found it in the edge of Coffee Co. near the Irwin Co. line
        Georgia

Comment

I get excited when I see your name come up now . Something always exciting . Johnny knows that area so there ya go . Early Archaic . That’s what I like .
          Did your family ever collect or are you the first ?
          Its raining all next week so get ready . I am in S.W. Georgia
          some times of the year .

Comment

Tams, my family would pick it up if they seen it but never really looked for them or done any research. That’s why I am artifact illiterate. lol Here is a little bit about me since you asked. My Grandfather, Dad, One uncle, one first Cuzin, brother, and myself all work together. We farm a little over 5,000 acres that stretches over 3 county’s in South Georgia Irwin, Coffee, and Ben Hill. My family has farmed as far back as I can trace it, at least for 6 generations, just not on that big of a scale. If you will look on the map these county’s come together we live in Irwin but within 3 miles of all of all three. We farm Cotton, peanuts, a little corn, peacans, cows, and are in the process of putting up chicken houses. Most of our land is rented but most of our land lords doesn’t mind if I look for arrowheads. The problem that I have is that with all the land it is hard to narrow down the search. If anyone could give me any tips it would be appreciated. I have heard about certain sides of the creeks and some say on top of the hill and some at the bottom, So???? Sorry for all the details but I am newer on here and figured y’all might want to know. The crops are about to get to big to look in the fields, so any creek hunting details is appreciated. By the way our creeks are nasty black mud and the water is dark. Any help or info by anyone on any of my post is appreciated. Please educate me. Lol Thanks to everyone
            Georgia

Comment

• Tam
              Tam commented
              Editing a comment
              Just keep up the farming for now your luck and area is working just fine .

Let me look at a map . I’ll try my best . In most areas it’s all about water . Think of yourself living there . Everything was different then as far as trees and even the way the river snakes around . I see mine change up to 5 ft a year in some places after a rain on the bends .
            But a ridge over looking or close to water is a good place . Where you are farming is close to water . Remember they are looking for game . My creeks are the same I have yet to master that . They are sandy but not black . Sounds like a wonderful family clan .
            I’ll get back to you ..

Comment

That's a great find! Coffee County, GA? I think I had ancestors in that area back in the early 1800s, but most of them moved west before the law caught them.

5,000 acres? That's a huge area to search. I'm still trying to figure out how to survey a 10-acre parcel. So far, the only thing I've thought of that might help is to mark everything I find on a map so I can see if any patterns emerge. If I had to look at 5,000 acres, I might get a drone up to see if I could spot any crop marks or earthworks. You've got room for a lot of finds there. Good luck!
              I used to be young and foolish. Not so young any more.

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                Have to hear that story about the 1800’s and the law .sounds like a Hatfield and McCoy story .

Limestoned and BR you can google map your county to start.
              You can tell how much they go up in feet . The creeks and streams show up . My area the NA camps seem to be a about
              450 ft . Check out what tribes lived in your area so you can study what you can about habits . There are documentations that archeologists log in books about sites .I have found multigenerational camps meaning you may find older pieces in areas where woodland camps were . It’s just somthing that works for me .
              I always seem to find pieces on the same hunt trail we hunt ( game ). I log everything and keep track of finds . Everyone has a different style . I don’t have creeks with rock bars which would be great . Mostly timber fields . There is just so much great information out there and this is just a novices approach to collecting ... me Click image for larger version

Name:	7A196E17-35F6-4744-BB8C-F15C7DDA49A9.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	308603 Click image for larger version

Name:	37CF51A2-1EC3-41F5-8B73-BC9D06368063.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	308604

Comment

Tam it’s going to be where I can’t look for a week so I will try to see what I can find and come up with a game plan. I really appreciate all the help. Limestone I hadn’t thought about a drone thanks may have to try it.
                Georgia

Comment

• Tam
                  Tam commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I told you above just keep farming your really in a good site and having great finds . I don’t have a plowed field yet 😬 mine is because of no fields

Greenbrier Osceola/Hardaway or perhaps Bolen Beveled. Looks Greenbrier Osceola esp with that base nipple. Looks Hardaway - some include Greenbrier with Hardaway esp Georgia on up. Looks Bolen with that wicked bevel... All Early Dalton anyway lol. Been sharpened severely in the haft. Sweet.
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Tam Unfortunately, my 10-acre search zone is topographically dull, so the maps don't reveal much at that scale. It's just a smoothly sloping parcel with a small dry creek bed in one corner.

On a larger scale, the maps really help put the property in context. That dry creek bed, which might have been spring-fed in wetter times, flows into a larger creek nearby, and the property looks over a fairly flat plain that's a couple of kilometers across. It's not a terrible place for a hunting camp. On the other hand, nothing about it suggests the kind of multi-generational usage you've seen. There are just too many better sites for parking a hunter-gatherer group nearby. More water, natural rock shelters, that kind of thing.

Your other advice is in progress as part of my study plan. Who knew that an arrowhead forum would have so much homework?

Briarproof You might find a drone useful for more than archeology. I haven't used mine much, but it let me inspect the top of a couple of water tanks without climbing up, and it helped me work out a couple of drainage issues. On the other hand, I've always enjoyed creek walking too. When I lived in Virginia, we'd find Civil War stuff just about everywhere a creek cut into the bank.
                  I used to be young and foolish. Not so young any more.

Comment

It’s such a fun hobby and one find leads into one question that leads into a domino effect . Your right about a water source that might have been there and dried up . I have this muck area where I either I have to clean out the spring or cut the trees and let it dry out so I can hunt it ..I would prefer the spring to rejuvenate and am hoping it’s just plugged with sedimarnt . But man what a great place to look if that dries up . I need to move there full time to get things going .LS I loved what you said about people being bored . There just isn’t enough time to do all the things this world has to offer . How could you possibly be bored ? I did use a drone and still do for thick areas . I found a feeder creek off the map I want to walk up to .
                    Never stop LS

Comment

I thought Palmer when I first saw this one. Nice find.

Comment

Working...
                      X