Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N. Wisconsin Cache - What kind of points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. Wisconsin Cache - What kind of points?

These were dug in Northern Wisconsin out of a hole about 6' by 2' while installing pipework in the 1970s. The broken point is about 4" long. The blueish point is about 2" long. The triangle point is about an inch long and so is the white notched point. What kinds of points are they? What period are they from?

All help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Illini01; 07-14-2018, 08:39 AM.

Types like Hopewell,Madison and Burkett come to Mind.
    http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

1st pic possibly feeheley, it is somewhat hopewellish also
      2nd pic, darker piece looks to be in the Adena cluster, triangle piece possibly Madison.
      3rd pic, Snyder's comes to mind.
      I particularly like the dark point in the 2nd pic! Thanks for sharing.
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Cache? You think these dissimilar point types from various cultures are a cache? I can believe they were found in a smal area as described but a cache is usually made up of artifacts with similar attributes. WHo ever found them should have dug some more of the yard up. Looks like they bit that big one with the shovel.
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I would add to Hoss's pecimism of an actual cache of tools being that they look used. Usually cached artifacts are in first stage condition showing no sign of use or wear and are cached for future use. I wouldn't be surprised to hear about multiple artifacts being found in the same hole though. Ive heard plenty of talk from the old timers pulling out shovel fulls with 2 or 3 points in each one... cool pieces though, thanks for sharing!
          Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
            Cache? You think these dissimilar point types from various cultures are a cache? I can believe they were found in a smal area as described but a cache is usually made up of artifacts with similar attributes. WHo ever found them should have dug some more of the yard up. Looks like they bit that big one with the shovel.
            Thanks for the clarification on the term cache. The big one was actually broken by me before I could remember.

Comment

Working...
            X