Indian rock???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian rock???

My son found this in a location where he found lots of flint and an arrowhead. It is flat and has bowl like indentions on both sides in the middle of the stone. It is almost 2 inches thick.

Forgot...Lawrence County, Alabama.

Comment

It looks like an Anvil stone to me too. “Come an’ get yer love” by Redbone, now that’s Indian rock,lol
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Welcome Aboard Bradrsi. Agree it looks like an Anvil Stone.
        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Welcome, Bradrsi! Cool find! My thoughts of the piece lean more toward a pitted biscuit discoidal. Jay and Chuck have a good suggestion as well. I just don't know about how well that lithic would hold up to high force repeated battering.
          Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
            OnewiththewilD commented
            Editing a comment
            It’d think it’d hold up just fine. I have a few just like it. it’s not taking the beating so much itself, in fact that pecking you see is put there before you start using it to give a “ grip” to what your working on. They could even have been busting nuts open on it too or resting the bottom end of a stick they were shaving down on it, multi purpose in my opinion.

• Broken Arrow
            Broken Arrow commented
            Editing a comment
            I understand how and why the pit was made, but its cool that you mentioned that bc it could help others. You do have a point about the stone not taking the brunt of the force, and I definitely agree that it was likely multi purpose and could have been a light use item. I completely see where you and Chuck are coming from. I didn't intend to imply or make it sound like I thought y'all were wrong and I apologize, to y'all and other forum members, if it came across that way.
            I suppose the reasoning behind my thinking is that the dual pits coupled with the stone being pecked into a nice smooth round shape with curved edges seems like alot of work to put into an anvil stone and also that form is one of the recognized forms for a discoidal. But like you said, multi purpose functionality.

• OnewiththewilD
            OnewiththewilD commented
            Editing a comment
            No reason to apologize for anything!

Thanks so much everyone! It’s funny because I have been calling it a biscuit and I had no idea what it is called. It was found in the same spot as the arrowhead pictured. My son found both of them and tons of flint chips. I have posted the arrowhead in a separate post and received really good info and feedback about it (Big Sandy/Leighton Base). Sorry for creating two posts, I probably should have merged it all into one. Needless to say, he is now ready to get back looking!

Comment

He also found this one in the same area. It’s definitely a different kind of stone. They are pretty much the same size but this one doesn’t have defined dips in the middle. The other one looked more like a tool to me but I don’t know anything about them.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
              Broken Arrow commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like another anvil stone and may have seen use as a hammerstone or maybe even, given the coarse looking texture, possibly a grinding stone also.

Some Indian Rock for y'all!
            Last edited by Hoss; 07-15-2018, 05:03 PM.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss , you just make my day with your personality !
              Love that!

Comment

Working...
              X