Is this an arrow head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an arrow head

My wife frequently walks our dog along a short stretch of beach near our home. She is always looking for sea glass and on one of these walks she found this. There are many rocks along this beach but the shape of this looks too good to be just Mother Nature smashing rocks. I know nothing about arrow heads so I’m posting this here to see if anyone here can provide any info.

Welcome to to the forum. Are you trying to post using a phone? if yes try using the camera icon to the left above the text box as you write. If no use the clipborad icon to the right side near the letter A
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• searchinghawk
      searchinghawk commented
      Editing a comment
      i have a nice collection from mass and this is definately a middle archaic point,,stark for sure

Hello and thank you
    Are these pictures better?

Comment

Hey that’s a great find tell her! What state are you in? Looks like an ocean tumbled Stark point from here in New England
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Btw, it’s not an arrowhead it’s either a Knife or possibly a spear blade imo

Comment

Nice looks like Quartzite to me. What state was this found in?
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
            Nice looks like Quartzite to me. What state was this found in?
            Massachusetts

Comment

Originally posted by OnewiththewilD View Post
              Hey that’s a great find tell her! What state are you in? Looks like an ocean tumbled Stark point from here in New England
              Yes New England. What is a Stark ?

Comment

Yup, I’d say it was a Stark then, stem looks too rounded to be a Neville I’d think

Comment

Originally posted by OnewiththewilD View Post
                  Btw, it’s not an arrowhead it’s either a Knife or possibly a spear blade imo
                  Any guess on the age of this?

Comment

Starks are a mid to late archaic ( 7000-5000 bp) blade style that runs in sizes from small to large and were used for atlatl dart points, lance/spear blades and knifes. Like Hoss said yours is made out of a local quartzite and is a very nice example.

Comment

Looks like a Stark to me too. BP stands for before present . She has found an middle to early archaic point there, congratulations on a great find.

Comment

Wow, thank you both. That is amazing to find something like that on a beach covered in many rocks and shells. A piece of history.

Comment

Yes it is. And each one is a connection to the past and has its own story to tell. And the more we learn about these things the more these stones can tell us their stories believe it or not. Whatever beach you’s found that at you should take more walks there at low tide and walk the gravel lines, you’ve already found yourself a good spot. Go find more and good luck!

Comment

I started as a sea glass hunter too until I found my first point. Now it's glass? What glass? Lol!
                            Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                            X