a couple more CT pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple more CT pieces

alright, I’m still learning a lot, and my biggest weakness at this point is identifying pieces I find at the beach as they tend to be very weathered and quartz especially is so difficult for me. both of these pieces were found on beaches in Fairfield County, CT. the larger piece looks like a core to me, and possibly it was a core tool as I think I can discern flaking at the “tip” and the concavities do look like large flake scars to me.

the quartz piece has been in my “maybe” pile for a while. could be a geofact, but I do think I can see some flaking on this one when I look close. if it is a tool of some kind, it’s only worked on one side. it’s just under 1 1/2 inches from tip to base.

my small collection at this point is mostly scrapers, I haven’t found a lot of points, so I’m becoming interested in the other tools out there as I seem to have better luck finding those. thanks for looking and for any info you can provide!

i knew knapper from Seymour RIP Jeff. He would make points out of that red stuff it is on the beaches in the Milford and west of there . You never know that might actually be from him, He would go down there and pick up quartz and the red rock cobbles, While looking he would break stuff up to fit more in his buckets. That could be from him as it lacks patina.
    Last edited by Hoss; 07-17-2018, 06:32 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Now that’s an interesting story Hoss . Seems like a keeper just from the rarity .

Comment

wow well that’s interesting, I guess it’s possible Hoss. I’m not sure what this rock is but it’s all over the beaches here.

Comment

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          It was used to make points too in ancient times but what I have seen in collections is patinated

It’s Attleboro red rhyolite
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

thanks, knew it was rhyolite but couldn’t remember much more than that.

Comment

Well, if as Hoss relates, it's found on beaches as cobbles in Milford, that would seem to preclude Attleboro Red. The glacier would not have flowed in that direction to deposit it there. I don't know what it is, but I certainly recognize the resemblance to Attleboro Red. However, another candidate might be Chicopee Indurated Shale, from Ma. Here is the description from Boudreau: "This lithic outcrops in the Connecticut River Valley. It is recognized by its deep red to reddish brown color with little obvious patina". Looking at Boudreau's illustrations of this lithic, the color seems to match. Hoss's observation on little patina on the piece seen here would also match Boudreau's observation. And I would need to see how Chicopee lines up with Milford to know if the glacier depositing cobbles of Chicopee Indurated Shale in Milford would line up or not. I do believe I have a couple of artifacts made from the Chicopee material, but I don't have much experience with it. I have much more experience with Attleboro Red, but I am not certain if it was used that far west of its source or not.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Looks like glacial transport would work for a Chicopee area to Milford area. On other hand, Boudreau indicates Attleboro Red was discovered by Paleo Indians, so that guarantees widespread appearance of the material at an early date. Problem with Attleboro Red is if the lithic in question really is present as cobbles on beaches in that area of Ct. Anyway, just thinking off the top here...
              Rhode Island

Comment

thanks CMD that’s some great information. I’m trying to find more info on that indurated shale. I’m planning to get a copy of Boudreau’s book very soon.

Comment

Hey firefly how u? I'm Red just wanted to kick in with this red scraper I found in Fairfield county. Conn. Along housatonic river it looks similar to the redrock you found..... Good luck hunting BTW I found this a couple yes ago..... Your find got my attention
                  SW Connecticut

Comment

Sorry the pics are not good.... But if u enlarge me u can see material well
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

that’s a nice piece Red...I don’t have a large collection but so far I’ve found a couple nice pieces on the Housatonic also. my biggest frustration right now is gaining access to the river over here in Fairfield County, I don’t have a boat and I always see spots I would like to look in but looks like I would need a boat or kayak to get to. just frustrating bc I know there’s good stuff to be found on the river and there’s not too many access points! I really like that piece there and it does look like similar material to my possible core. say hi if you ever see a young blonde lady walking reallll slow along the river!

Comment

OK I will

SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                        X