Interesting find....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting find....

Found this in a new area that seems to have some interesting materials scattered. This piece is very polished and flat on the backside. Maybe a broken blade? Looks possible like gray jasper. In all the years of hunting in my areas, I have never come across material like this. Thoughts?

Central New Jersey (Burlington County)
    Last edited by NJ; 08-04-2018, 08:11 PM.

Firstly NJ - Welcome Aboard. Glad to see your back. Five posts since Mar 2014 may be a record. Interesting piece your showing us but I'd sure like to see it closer, both sides, under natural light and without your fingers. My first impression, in that last pic, seems to be a shoulder or barb but your finger is blocking a full view. Take it outside, during daytime, lay it on a porch rail, put a quarter or some size indicator for us to compare. I'd also like to see a close up of the edges if possible, I'm not sure it's broken at all. If you don't mind some addit pics - I'd sure like to see it again.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• NJ
      NJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the feedback. I wasn't sure it was a broken either, but I have never come across anything similar in the surrounding areas. I will post some better pics tomorrow in the daylight. Thanks.

Looks like an old gun flint to me. Very cool find even if that's what it is.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• NJ
      NJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! That is a very good call. I just did a little research on gun flint and it seems to fit the picture pretty well. The area is close by Crosswicks NJ which was an active location during the revolutionary war. I will post another two artifacts I found in the same location tomorrow. You will see why I immediately went to an indian artifact when I found this one. Thanks again!

Looks like a gun flint to me too. small group from CT. Click image for larger version

Name:	gunflints.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	311798
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• NJ
      NJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. The look is almost identical. So hard to tell the difference between an artifact and one of these. Mine def has a beautiful color to it. Thanks for the post!

It looks a lot like an NA artifact. It's a nice piece of chert chipped into shape by man, so it should look like a man mad artifact. Just not as old.
    Central Ohio

Comment

Just found this....LOL.

I was able to buy this collection of 14 gun flints last night for $15.00 at Bennetts auction. I have alsways wanted a few of these and now I got 14. Gun

Comment

yup a gun flint,but some really cool looking patina on it

Comment

Here is another pic. Curious to see the thoughts on this other piece I found in the same area.

Comment

Gun flints are always cool finds, I'm still looking for one, congrats.

Comment

Working...
            X