Is This Natural?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Natural?

Kind of reminded me of the broken pitted stone I found... is it anything?

Looks natural to me Metacom. I don't see anything that indicates it was man made or altered by man.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

oh well

Comment

Hey METACOM, is that soap stone? Were you thinking broken pendant? I cant tell in the two pics, does it seem like a bore hole that broke? I think that "hole" would give you your best clue. The rest of it looks too crude to have been worked on for long. Usually with the soapstone, greenstone stuff, it will take on a nice dull glass like shine if it has been sanded into shape at all. However, it seems a NA would have tried drilling the hole first before wasting their time polishing a piece up, just to have it crack drilling into it. The finer work might have come later if it didn't crack. If it is soap stone and shows some sign of even drill grinding...then maybe it's an unfinished piece.
        Central Ohio

Comment

I was thinking maybe some kind of small pitted stone but I wasn't sure. The hole doesn't look drilled and I don't think it's soapstone.

Comment

I agree with flint guy . If you could look at the hole up close with a scope or mag lamp and see if it was man made that’s your clue . I think it to hard to tell from just a pic .
            Just don’t chuck-it off to garden stone until you can take a closer look .

Comment

• -=METACOM=-
              -=METACOM=- commented
              Editing a comment
              lol I'm always afraid to throw odd rocks away.

Better pics of the drilled side will help. If it’s steatite you could scratch it with your nail.
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

I just looked closer I don’t think it’s steatite or chlorite
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Jay, nah it doesn't scratch. As far as the hole it doesn't look drilled, it looks like either the hole was formed from battering on both sides or it's natural and the middle just fell apart. I couldn't say for sure if it was battered or not. I'll see if I can get some sunlit pics tomorrow.

Comment

Tried to get some better ones.

Just a reminder, if you right click and open the picture in a new tab, you can the click on the pic to enlarge it.

Comment

It looks like it was something.

Comment

looks like a natural break to me.
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I see, it just caught my eye on the ground, I had to take it home.

Comment

Working...
                        X