• Show
Clear All

• What do you make of this??????

I am completely clueless. I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks
    owen
    Northern Ky

Adze or pick

Comment

That definitely shows some work to it. Im gonna take a somewhat educated guess and say that it might be a start that was never finished. Whether it had become unworkable or whatever the reason it seems like a piece that was never completed or maybe a large reduction flake that broke off in that shape. This is another one for our expert knappers here. Those cats can probably tell ya just what the deal is if in fact it is what I believe it to be. Looking fwd to the answer on that piece. Cool find man...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

In my area that would be a nice little tool / scrapper
        Just a quess .

Comment

Here is one more pic showing the depth of this item. This, to me, is the oddest feature. It may very well be a scraper Tam but I would have thought it would be much thinner. The semi domed shaped top shows signs of work on it.
          Northern Ky

Comment

Oh yeah that is a twist for sure .Like Baba said let’s hope Ron sees this . Great lithic to boot .

Comment

Owen - I'm gonna have to agree with Frank on this one. It has been worked but I don't think the craftsman completed it. When you look closely you can see the core material appears to run throughout that lithic which would probably make it hard to knap. Now they might well have used it as a tool of convenience but we'll never know for sure. It just doesn't have the finished edges I'd expect to see on a finished artifact. Your 2nd posted pic is way to fuzzy to see much detail.
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hey Owen, That's an ancient artifact failure. I am going to agree with Frank: I don't think it was ever finished.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

thank you all for your honest responses. A bit disappointing.......but it’s has enough eye appeal I probably want chuck it over the hill..
                  This forum is a really nice resource.
                  Thanks agaim
                  Northern Ky

Comment

I’m thinking an exhausted expedient tool.
                    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• BabaORiley
                      BabaORiley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jay. I did think that as well. I have always believed in that "on the fly" or "in a pinch" theory. I have seen many worked pieces posted in that condition and have found a couple myself. Always a possibility...

Originally posted by Owen70 View Post
                    thank you all for your honest responses. A bit disappointing.......but it’s has enough eye appeal I probably want chuck it over the hill..
                    This forum is a really nice resource.
                    Thanks agaim
                    No real reason to be disappointed. We all find artifacts that are essentially stages in production, or, as Jay suggested, expedient tools. It's an artifact, after all, part of the material culture of the site where it was found.

Rhode Island

Comment

CMD, I think all of us dream of finding the holy grail😂 And while that plays a roll in our search, the reality is, most of us are collector/hoarders with a strong sense of history. As with most of you this is not my only collecting addiction. I have rarely sold anything. I collect it, clean it, maintain it, and preserve it. For who, I don’t know as my son has little interest in collecting anything. So my, “chuck it over the hill” statement was made tongue in cheek. I’m sure my spouse would be happy if I were to follow through😀
                      it has finally stopped raining (4 4/10 inches since Thursday) so I took a couple more pics outside. I am interested in what appears to be the back side and the way it is possibly battered up. Any thoughts on why that would be?
                      Again, I appreciate all input.
                      Last edited by Owen70; 08-18-2018, 09:12 AM.
                      Northern Ky

Comment

Hey Owen - without actually having it in my hand to get a close up look it would be hard to tell why it's the way it is. But - that CHAIR the artifact is one has my attention. That Woven bark seat looks like it is older than I am!!
                        Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

CMD, I think all of us dream of finding the holy grail😂 And while that plays a roll in our search, the reality is, most of us are collector/hoarders with a strong sense of history. As with most of you this is not my only collecting addiction. I have rarely sold anything I collect it, clean it, maintain it, and preserve it. For who, I don’t know as my son has little interest in collecting anything. So my, “chuck it over the hill” statement was made tongue in cheek. I’m sure my spouse would be happy if I were to follow through😀
                          it has finally stopped raining (4 4/10 inches since Thursday) so I took a couple more pics outside. I am interested in what appears to be the back side and the way it is possibly battered up. Any thoughts on why that would be?
                          Again, I appreciate all input.
                          Northern Ky

Comment

Not sure what’s going on? My last post has disappeared from my view. No big deal
                            Scorpion, the chair is old to the best of my knowledge. Hickory bark bottoms. Appalachian or Shaker chairs, not sure what they are really called. Been in the family for a few years. I hang on to everything (read as too much stuff) 😁
                            Northern Ky

Comment

Working...
                            X