What is this made of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this made of?

I have just one of this beautiful striped stone and I wondered if someone can ID it. Probably a really dumb question but I can find no other pictures like this. Thank you for all information you might give me. Found on surface in 1970's Waxhaw or Indian Trail. NC.

Nice Guilford point made out of Flow banded rhyolite https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...94631-rhyolite
    Last edited by Hoss; 08-17-2018, 07:02 PM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thank you Sir!

Comment

• Hoss
        Hoss commented
        Editing a comment
        Your welcome. FYI my dad was named sir you can call me Hoss , Matt or at times I am called a lot of other things I cannot put in words or I would have to ban myself. Thanks for being cordial and polite but no need to call me sir LOL

• Kaimanu59
        Kaimanu59 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Matt! I still can't promise you would not get a "Sir" if spoken to in person though...: ) Just a southern thing...LOL
        And I am Robyn. Nice to meet you!

Awesome Find Kaimanu59. Thanks for sharing it with us.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

That's a beautiful Guilford love Waxhaw and it's history I Grew up on Lake Wylie. A good read if you haven't already is John Lawson's A New Voyage to Carolina which has a great section on him staying with Waxhaw and Sugaree tribes.
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

• Kaimanu59
          Kaimanu59 commented
          Editing a comment
          I called and ordered the book from my library. Thank you. My husband grew up in Indian Trail and his family hunted artifacts on weekends. He loved Lake Wylie back in the day...: )

Really interesting material there.

Comment

A real beauty, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Kaimanu59
            Kaimanu59 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. I have more of ryolite. (Now that I know what it looks like) But this is the one with the darkest stripes.

Really great find . I can’t imagine that area and the artifacts back then . Did you find that ? If so I bet you have many more .

Comment

• Kaimanu59
            Kaimanu59 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, Tam there are more of these in the collection. My husbands family hunted these nearly every weekend during those years. Now most of those areas are under concrete. I am doing my very best to ID nearly 100 pieces. It has become necessary to sell the collection to save the old homestead. I am doing my best but find all this very confusing.

I always say when they knock down all these places we call home now , the mini malls and such it will reopen a warehouse of artifacts for Archeologists.

Comment

And I cannot imagine the gems your family has . Ahh the 1970’s when people were picking up the prime rib of points out there .

Comment

We now live in Pageland, SC and my husband has found more than a dozen arrowheads and a drill right here on our land. After all those years hunting them as a child, he just has an eye...: )

Comment

• Tam
                Tam commented
                Editing a comment
                Wonderful

Very nice artifact
              South Dakota

Comment

Hey is Kaimanu your name or letters put together . That’s a common Hawaiian name over here .we even have a real estate office called that !!

Comment

Tam, Kaimanu was my nickname growing up. I grew up in Hawaii the daughter of a commercial fisherman and it means seabird. It was the closest friends could come to the name Robin which has no Hawaiian word. More than 30 years and always my heart is connected to Hawaii.

Comment

See I knew it crazy yeah .!

Comment

Working...
                    X