Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me put a name on this heck of a point.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me put a name on this heck of a point.

I used to think it was Bolen type, but now im not sure. It comes from a Late Archaic/ Woodland Period site in Central Florida. To make things easier, it possibly has a reworked stem. Regardless, shes a nice one.

Heres a better pic i meant to upload to post. Also, forgot to mention it also looks like the Sarasota type. All guesses and input welcome.

Comment

That’s a beautiful point! Sorry I can’t help you with the type
      South Dakota

Comment

Where’s Tom when we need him??
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Wonder if Broward...not that common a type... been heavily resharpened. Base is sorta diagnostic, expanded stem and stem doesn't look reworked. I'm seeing that originally it had excurvate sides. Doesn't seem to have much patina (not Bolen??....) and perhaps is heat treated to show that color.... Could be Archaic Stemmed type. The rework and not having in hand makes it difficult to type for a Lumper lolol. I'd ask Son Anderson!! I love it!
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Thanks for rhe evaluation Tom, and hello it's been awhile .Yeah not sure what to call this one. It might be a bolen, thats what it resembles to me. I just wasnt sure, and knew it would make a good discussion. I have another point from that sight that is close to the same, but a lil different stem, that has a small point broke, but maybe itll help. First pic is another of the original mystery point. Then the comparison point i just mentioned. Both points are made of heat treated chert, which was the abindant source of lithic material for this site.

Comment

I truly appreciate all the feedback...it’s very helpful.

Comment

Lafayette might work too...for a Typer lolol. With rework and also likely a transitional between 2 types it really makes typing harder. Any other points, even brokes, from that site? Classic types below and above it?? Places like Dade City with a LOT of sand the amount of points found in different "layers" allowed us to make ID interesting and more accurate typage. That's a word. Typage. I know the pink one here is a Lafayette Click image for larger version

Name:	16-(1).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	316359 Click image for larger version

Name:	BuddyLakeLafayette.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	316360
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Thanks Tom, you just answered one of my next Typage question. ( love the new word btw) . Which was what was this??? Now i know. Ive found a couple Lafayettes at this site as well. I have more brokes of the mystery point type at house will post after work. Heres a Laf....

Comment

Here's some more pics to possibly help Tom. This is a broke of the same type from the site. Although there was many different kinds of points found there, there were only 3 to 4 types that madeup the majority. Citrus, Hernando, the hybrid type i call "Citrus/Hernando", and this type.

Comment

These are some points found at the same site. Hope they can give you a better idea of the time period and the culture of the people who inhabited this village, to give us a better chance to name this sucker. More points will be shown in future posts.
                      . Oh yeah i almost forgot to mention Tom, i do agree with what you first said, which i somehow overlooked, Broward is a very strong candidate. All are welcome to reply.

Comment

What are those red ones made out of . You guys really have some beautiful points down there . Love those hernados .

Comment

The 6th pic of the 2 points . I can’t stand it they are so perfect and what is that lithic ?
                          Is that agatized coral ?

Comment

Working...
                          X