Drilled stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilled stone

I was going thru my rocks to find some entries for heartbreaker post and came across this piece...first piece I found with a hole in it...with the wealth of knowledge of all you fellow kickers..I need some opinions as to what it can be,...found in cornfield in New Haven County ... Connecticut
    SW Connecticut

Click image for larger version

Name:	385518ee1789136ff09db28a24b3ccad--photo-illustration-smiley-faces.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	318656 I don't what else to say.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      That's
      A cool smiley Bruce

My observations, conclude with the fact that you have a hole drilled through a rock. There! Problem solved!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha pretty good observation cub

Red - it's hard to tell if it's an artifact. Can't see the drilling aspects of that hole from your pics. Don't know if it's modern or ancient drilling. Mayhaps someone with better eyes can tell for sure.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck ...it was in the same field that Hoss and his dad walked a thousand times....I found it couple yrs after Hoss moved down to Tennessee....it was covered in mud...when I brought. It home I saw that the hole went right thru... I was pumped.... none if my fellow hunters found anything drilled there. And many archaic artifacts came outta that field ....so I don't know ...thanks man. Red

Hey Red, That is a cool piece. I believe that it was pecked to shape. It's a shame that it was broken.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah Ron it does look pecked. And yes the break does complicate it...man I was freakin. Because of the hole...never found anything drilled ..thanks for input..

here is things to look at is it look like a bore which means to me the same thickness from one side to the other Modern if it tapers in the middle ancient. next where it was found in a field is there a steam close by. net weight. but out of my area.
    Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Yeah Chase theres a river down behind the field..and I will get a jewelers loop and try to determine how straight it is and look for a taper. ...good idea man... Thanx
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Yeah, as chase said most prehistoric drilling is biconical. They drilled from both sides, so the drilling tapers inward and the hole will be at its narrowest in the middle. The 5-7th photos show the hole is at a really odd angle in relation to the shape of the rock. You would see that angle in birdstones and boatstones, but I'm sure it's not a broken example of either. To my eyes the rock itself looks natural, rather then pecked, but I'm not holding it in hand.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Hey Charlie that all makes sense about drilling method . That's why you guys are mods and admins...yes could be natural,..if I was a NA and found it I'd probably try to utilize it no? Thanx for input man... Now if I had the right drill bit and it don't go right thru...would that tell me anything? I'm looking at it now and I think I see a bend in the hole...if you make it to meeting sept 23rd I plan on being there I'll throw it in jeep
          SW Connecticut

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure, bring any question marks....

K will do be nice to meet ya
          SW Connecticut

Comment

Red my Cousin Andy found a small bannerstone in that field. This preform?? What it could be, lord knows? This next artifact was found in Oxford with a broken quartz drill in it. It is Chlorite and about the size of a baseball. Click image for larger version  Name:	td66.jpg Views:	1 Size:	173.6 KB ID:	318926 Click image for larger version  Name:	tdy067.jpg Views:	1 Size:	178.2 KB ID:	318925
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

That's pretty cool Matt. ...broke drill is awesome. I see the tractor scar...man I know there's still cool stuff in there...thanks man. I gotta try and zoom in on the drilling on my piece
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
              X