Newbie here and I’m looking for advice/opinions, please 😁

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie here and I’m looking for advice/opinions, please 😁

Hello, all! I’m a newbie to not only this forum but to artifact hunting and collecting as well! Anyways, while on vacation on silver lake in Traverse City, Michigan, I found these two rocks that may or may not be β€œsomething”. One is almost a perfect circle and appears to be made of sandstone or some other type of gritty material. And the larger one is triangular in shape and has what looks to me as a thumb hole or something else that was worn into it. I found both in shallow water in Silver lake.I put a dime in the photo for scale. I realize that when you’re new to collecting that everything looks like β€œsomething”, lol. Thanks for any responses and I’m excited to be here and seeing/posting some more cool stuff!!!

Hi! Welcome to the forum! The first thing that I have noticed, is that you found these by a lake. (?) They are probably nothing, although the top rock looks a wee bit suspicious. They were probably worn down by he water.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That is one round rock. but both are natural not modified by man. I pick them as well. Nature has a way of forming neat stones.
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

MG2,welcome to the forum

i agree that those are just natural unaltered by man rocks

everyone when they are knew to the hobby finds items they think are artifacts,but more times than not they are just natural

i would have picked up that round one as well,if it is sand stone it would make for a nice small soft hammer stone to be used in flint knapping or as an abrading stone.as knapper i am always on the look out for such items to add to my ABO knapping kit.

keep looking,you will find some artifacts eventually

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I’m not sure the stones were originally β€œfound” in the water as the place I stayed was a rental lake cottage so they could’ve been picked up elsewhere and thrown in. But nevertheless you’re probably right. Probably the water has done her damage over the years and made them this way. I appreciate your opinions!!!

Comment

Can I ask why you guys say that they’re natural and not man made? I’m not doubting you’re opinions in any way, I’m just genuinely curious as to how to tell the difference.

Comment

Let me get back to you on that. others may chime in before I get back but that is as great question

Comment

First I ask what would it be used for? Then I ask is there any show of use? The Fits in the hand or finger, thumb is not a thing that they "NAs" did. Now with that said I have seen modern people but in there pocket a worry stone they would rub smooth or put a divot in but it is also polished from constant use. You show one pic and in hand is best but I see no use.

Comment

The round stone would be nice to see a side view if it is flat on both sides, if it is round like a ball most likely what others said. Also welcome to forum
                  South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The one with the divot in it looks like an Omar stone. It looks natural to me. Please can we see more pictures of the round one. It might be a discoidal stone.
                    Last edited by Hoss; 09-09-2018, 02:18 PM.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome Aboard Michianguy2 - we're glad to have ya.
                      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Here a couple more pics of the smaller, round rock. The views are of both sides and a top view looking straight down on it. I put a large paper clip in for scale.

Comment

Here is the wiki for omar stones.
                          Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Tam
                            Tam commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nice

I am gonna say that is natural Michianaguy I just do not see any work on it. The way these are shaped is they will be pecked and then ground. The grinding would be against another rock using wet sand as an abrasize. Look at it under 10 x magnification if you see striations that are multi directional as if it was rubbed back and forth and not just one way I mean it would look cross hatched then perhaps it may have been smoothed by a human. It is very cool and I would have brought it home too. Thanks for the new pictures. Dont let it get you down . Keep your eye on the ground there is a lot of stuff out there still waiting to be found. Good luck in the hunt.
                          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome Michigan guy! Hope you stick around
                            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                            X