Looking for an ID on this one....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an ID on this one....

This is a recent find of mine in central New Jersey. Haven't found anything similar in the last few years. Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Kevin
    Attached Files

nice find

im no expert on your area,nor familiar with that regions artifacts

but a quick search,i would call that a morrow mountain round base

but wait for those more familiar with the region to chime in

Comment

Maybe an ovates or morrow mountain round base as sneaky suggested. Cool little point. There are several NE members that will be along to give their input.
      Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Gary L. Fogelman calls them ovates I think in his book. I've found them in flint (2), and quartz (1), and a friend of mine found a small cache of three of them the same looking material you have there. I heard once they may have been a sewing point but it may be a guess. They are usually nice and thin like that one. I've seen a few thick ones. I'm in NJ also btw, southern part. .What is that meterial?

They are not very common but are definitely known by collectors in NJ. Even a big collection won't have too many around here. Congrats on a very cool find.

edit: It looks like argillite to me
        Last edited by kayakaddict; 09-09-2018, 09:21 PM.
        New Jersey

Comment

Here is the overstreet entry for ovates. Click image for larger version

Name:	0909182130-1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	319002
          Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Nice point. In the Midwest, we would probably call that a Cottonwood Leaf.
            South Dakota

Comment

I have two similar, one jasper and the other argillite, found in the Philadelphia area... I just call them ovate or ovoid. I think it's just a generic style that really isn't possible to attribute to any one time without taking the rest of the site into context. Regardless, that's a nice looking point.
              Last edited by filmiracl; 09-10-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone! This was the first one of its kind out of my area I found. I have another interesting one I found right next to it I will post later. Thanks again!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                X