Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Virginia Point ID

Hey folks,

I’m over here in Northern Virginia. My brother was digging around in a small stream close to our house when he stumbled across this arrowhead. I’m assuming it’s an arrowhead, anyway. You guys know better than I do, so what is this?

Excuse the cat hair and thanks in advance!

Paulmer

​​​​​​​

I think it looks like a Nottaway River Bifurcate.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky point View Post
      I think it looks like a Nottaway River Bifurcate.
      Interesting! If that’s the case, I wonder how it got all the way up here. I’m in Manassas.

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s how things go....I’ve got a Clovis found here in northern Arkansas...a thousand miles from Clovis, New Mexico.

That’s a beautiful Point!

Originally posted by Paulmer View Post

Interesting! If that’s the case, I wonder how it got all the way up here. I’m in Manassas.
      Its just a type name, no doubt because many are found along the Nottoway. We even have that type up here in New England. Anyway, I'm no authority on bifurcate points, and have trouble distinguishing the many varieties. You've got a small ding to one lobe, but it's a very nice find and made of a nice quartz.
      Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post

Its just a type name, no doubt because many are found along the Nottoway. We even have that type up here in New England. Anyway, I'm no authority on bifurcate points, and have trouble distinguishing the many varieties. You've got a small ding to one lobe, but it's a very nice find and made of a nice quartz.
        Ahh, I see! Thank you for the clarification. As I mentioned, I’m very new to this. Is there a way to know which culture they came from or how old it may be?

Comment

I am not 100% sure, but if it is a Nottaway River, then it came from the early Archaic period: about 8,000 to 6,000 years ago. This is according to my Overstreet guide.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hey Paulmer, That sure is a nice quartz bifurcate point whatever the type is.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Paulmer, we are glad to have ya and hope you stick around! That is a cool find man. I'd probably call that a lecroy but nottaway river is a good call as well.
              Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Kelley View Post
                Hey Paulmer, That sure is a nice quartz bifurcate point whatever the type is.
                Thank you! I’m planning on heading back to the creek tomorrow afternoon to see if I can find anything else.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                  Broken Arrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd sure be doing the same thing. I wouldn't leave the creek til I explored and kicked every rock in it. If it is an intermittent creek, I usually dig the gravel bars down a little bit and scrape up the bottom so the next time the water flows it will wash some stiff around and maybe reveal something new.

Originally posted by Broken Arrow View Post
                Welcome to the forum, Paulmer, we are glad to have ya and hope you stick around! That is a cool find man. I'd probably call that a lecroy but nottaway river is a good call as well.
                Thanks for the warm welcome!

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                  Broken Arrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're welcome.

welcome nice bifurcate point. Nottaway river is a name for a regional type as CMD said. I would go with Lecroy on this particular point. Thanks for sahring the pictures. http://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/LeCroy.html
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                  welcome nice bifurcate point. Nottaway river is a name for a regional type as CMD said. I would go with Lecroy on this particular point. Thanks for sahring the pictures. http://www.projectilepoints.net/Points/LeCroy.html
                  Thanks for your help in identifying it! I’m fairly clueless as is so it’s nice to see an array of opinions.

Comment

It is very nice!
                    South Dakota

Comment

I want to double up on what Ron said Paulmer on it being quartz . First off you don’t see to many quartz points with that detail on it . All that nice pressure flaking on the shoulders .
                      very nice . Not in my area anyway . SW Georgia

Comment

BTW, regardless of type, it's the Nottoway River, not the Nottaway River....
                        Rhode Island

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                          Broken Arrow commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Autocorrect is a killer. I tried typing it correctly 3 times and it just kept changing it so I just went with it.
                      Working...
                      X