Stumped! Help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped! Help needed!

So I found this in a central Missouri creek and it has me totally stumped. Any ideas?

It looks natural to me. It looks like limestone and being sedimentary it can have some pretty wild shapes. If it were found on an Indian camp I might assume it was utilized but as a creek find that dimple may well have come from small pebbles just swirling round and round over thusands of years a the creek.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Syrix - Natural or not - that sure is interesting. Like Hoss says, found in context it probably would have been looked at as a paint pot. But, also like Hoss says, I've seen those rocks below a creek falls where the continuous dripping of water caused dimples 1.5 - 2 inches wide and .75 inch deep.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Those rings make me think that it sat under dripping water for centuries if not longer or like Hoss says it could have had aggregate buzzing around in that exact spot forever. Its a cool find and I would have grabbed it also.

The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I wonder if it is a fossil sponge? Perhaps imbedded into the limestone. https://e-rocks.com/item/admn193158/...-fossil-sponge Maybe one of our fossil members can help.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I think its a fossil.

Comment

I'm calling fossil as well.
              Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

Most fossils, especially those in limestone found around here, under further examination (magnification), show signs of hafting, or being utilized by ancient man. I was shocked to find most of my fossils in my collection did after checking them when learning this. This mostly holds true for fossils found at sites, or in natural limestone deposits that have fossils, and gravel and road mixes of limeatone that contain fossils which is mined from areas where the limestone basin is closer to the surface which usually formed a water source in ancient times in the form of caves, springs, and water holes similar to the ones in Africa in the Serengeti . Check your fossils found around sites, you may find your fossils are artifacts as well.

Comment

• Hoss
                  Hoss commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would love to read more about that Rybo. Can you share what book this was published in so I can get me a copy.

• OnewiththewilD
                  OnewiththewilD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hafting is attaching something to a handle, what would they be hafting them for ? Are your fossils turned into tools?

to fossils sorry its natural fossil
                Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hi guys. Im not doubting or disagreeing with your analysis, i love to learn from y'all. I was only sharing my personal knowledge on the subject. I should have stated that in my comment. And Hoss, ive read a lot of stuff online mostly, unfortunately ive only borrowed books from local library on fossils, and cannot recall names or authors. Most of my knowledge on fossils is combining what i read online, filtering facts from opionion literature, and my own personal in the field findings. But i am always learning on the subjects.

Comment

Working...
                  X