Some Kind Of Grinding Stone ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Kind Of Grinding Stone ???

A friend of mine gave this to me this morning and I had never seen anything this large before. It has been ground smooth to almost polish across the bottom side that has a hole drilled into it. The polish also works its way around the edges of the bottom side. It’s about 9” round and at its thickest point almost 4” thick his dad found it back in the 50’s in northern Montgomery County, Ohio near the Dayton International Airport. I don’t know if it’s Native American or something done by the early settlers. I have never seen anything like this before or at least at this size.

The hole drilled into it is very close to a 1 1/2” deep.

Comment

Oh, I know what it is, but it's at the tip of my tongue! It's very nice!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

If it is made of a soft stone that you can scratch with fingernail it is most likely a boiling stone made out of steatite. Most of them I have seen has a bigger hole all the way through them for lifting out of a fire to cook with, if it is a hard stone it may be something else.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Originally posted by willjo View Post
          If it is made of a soft stone that you can scratch with fingernail it is most likely a boiling stone made out of steatite. Most of them I have seen has a bigger hole all the way through them for lifting out of a fire to cook with, if it is a hard stone it may be something else.
          It’s made out of a hard stone and the texture on the side othat the hole is drilled into is very smooth almost polished.

Comment

Really neat piece but most hard stones will crack when heated then cooled, hopefully someone can give you some better ideas.
            South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Possibly a bow drill socket? Idk much about them so definitely not sure.

Comment

That bottom side with the hole looks pretty flat, I wonder if there was a pin that went in it underneath and that sat on top and spun? Just an idea
                call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                  Broken Arrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting thought jay. You thinking pottery mold or something along that line?

I am thinking milestone . Just brings back memories of a class in school . Weather ancient or colonial I don’t know . Can even be used wet .

Comment

Jay spinning like for textiles ? Like spinning threads

Comment

It is a very cool rock for sure. I do not think it is drilled using ancient methods. The hole looks too irregular to me.
                    Last edited by Hoss; 09-27-2018, 03:11 PM.
                    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
                    X