Fairfield County Ohio Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairfield County Ohio Point

I found this point in Fairfield County, Ohio this year on the outskirts of a wash in a field. It is definitely not a point you typically find here. Most points are Coshoctin flint in this area and this is heat treated translucent Flint Ridge Chert. The tip is broken but it definately seems like it was a blunt tip and not a tip that ended in a point. The base is very unusual for this area as well. I would love for any input on this...thank you.

Hey HD - That is a fairly large point and kinda reminds me of a Smith, which has a more pronounced base and shoulders. However, your point could have been reworked which would account for smaller notches and base. Just a thought. Let's see what others have to say about it. Nice find.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Nice! The color on that point is very good!
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

I would guess a Smith also. The size and flake pattern look like it. As Chuck said, the base is a little off, but that seems like the closest fit.
        Central Ohio

Comment

I thought maybe a Ross Barbed or an Eva Type point. I honestly have never seen anything like this here before. Even in a lot of the collections found in this area from lifelong artifact hunters it is just not a common piece. When I found it I thought it was going to be a large Dove...but nope. I actually have video of pulling it out of the ground on my YouTube channel, BlastFromThePast.

Comment

Looks like the Eva Cluster points. They are found in our area and have a base like that. Great piece of flint you have there.
            fldwlkr
            Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Some more pictures.

Comment

It looks to me like it may have had a couple lobes broken off the base. It may be a Large Bifurcate, or McCorkle. They are common in Ohio. Even though they are commonly Black Upper Mercer, a few Flint Ridge examples exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Stansbery View Post
                  It looks to me like it may have had a couple lobes broken off the base. It may be a Large Bifurcate, or McCorkle. They are common in Ohio. Even though they are commonly Black Upper Mercer, a few Flint Ridge examples exist.
                  Definitely not broken lobes which is hard to tell by the pictures I posted. It was knapped intentionally in its current form. I find McCorkles and Lecroys here often usually made from Coshocton flint and this is definately not one. I agree with an Eva cluster point or a Ross Barbed point as they are actually not unheard of in this area although you do not see them often. Although the tip is broken off it was rounded off intentionally so I believe it had a blunt tip. The material is very nice almost translucent so I have to believe it was possibly a ceremonial point.
                  Last edited by Helldogg; 10-14-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stansbery View Post
                    Definitely not broken lobes which is hard to tell by the pictures I posted. It was knapped intentionally in its current form. I find McCorkles and Lecroys here often usually made from Coshocton flint and this is definately not one. I agree with the an Eva cluster point or a Ross Barbed point as they are actually not unheard of in this area although you do not see them often. Although the tip is broken off it was rounded off intentionally so I believe it was a blunt tip. The material is very nice almost translucent so I have to believe maybe a ceremonial point.

Comment

Working...
                    X