Because I haven’t mastered the referencing of my NEW OVERSTREET’S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Because I haven’t mastered the referencing of my NEW OVERSTREET’S

one of my really good friends found this today while clearing land in north central Arkansas, about 20 miles south of the Missouri line.
    every time he finds one he sends me a pic, and I try to identify it for him. I think it kinda looks like an Epps, at least the base does. It’s only 1.125” long, it’s a very dainty little thing...

sorry for only one pic, it’s the only one he sent.

what say you, collective wisdom of AH.com?
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Just to liven things up a bit, he also found this one and sent the pic to me....it’s barely a hair over .5” long...looks like the base is fluted a little?
    he said he thought it was actually a tooth when he first picked it up...
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I don’t know that much about points in Arkansas but researched it a bit. There’s several that are similar but the knife like base is just different. I think the Rockwall point is the closest but could be wrong? The Scallorn point also looks similar?

Von
      Last edited by Von; 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Von, I’m going to check those out. I am bad to start looking through Overstreet’s and my ADD kicks in and next thing I know it’s 2 hours later and I’ve drooled over pages and pages and forgotten what I was looking for. :-(

LOL I hear ya! I also suffer from that affliction!

I like my Overstreet book too and have been buried in it lately.

Von

Comment

It seems like a quarter of the base on the left side is broken off. My guess would be a Sequoya. Then my second guess would be a Rockwall, but from what I can see online, Sequoya's are a little more elongated like the point in your picture. Very cool looking piece.
        Central Ohio

Comment

Sequoyah in my honest opinion. Nice find
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I had to put the book down and go straight to projectile point Arkansas ... boy there is a Rockwall that looks just like your point on that site .

Comment

It's likely either a Sorter's Bluff or Current River arrow point, depending on where in northern Ark. it was found. Look for both types in the upcoming NEW Overstreet guide.

Comment

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              About 5 miles southwest of Harrison.

• Broken Arrow
              Broken Arrow commented
              Editing a comment
              Harrison is right near one of my favorite towns in Arkansas..Eureka Springs! I love NW Arkansas.

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              E Springs is a really nice place to visit this time of year. It’s beautiful up there.

Sequoya or Edwards;
            both considered to be Texas types, but that's my considered opinion.

Comment

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. I’m really appreciating all the input.

Your right BA I was going crazy . Had to just go to that link much easier sometimes .
            thank you for the verification . Have not been on everyday have so much going on in my life .

Comment

I"m no pro at identification by any means but i have a few points like this. The base is crooked to one side and that side had a less prominent notch and ear than the other side. Probably considered to be sequoya but i think its something else. I will ask my buddy who has more knowledge than i tomorrow when we go dig. Thinking about going 5 miles southwest of Harrison

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                “Digging” May be hard there, but if you can find a place where anybody is doing dirt work with heavy equipment, I’d give it a look. Either that or find a drainage...he’s always finding cool stuff in the creeks and rivers, but he kayaks at least once a week.

You know my new place and I think sneaky buzzard taught me this . After those animals coyotes , armidilos whatever dig down about 2 ft at times in a field then a good rain comes . It’s like a jewelry box with flakes for days and if I get lucky a tool or point . That giant piece of pottery was animal dig .
              Electical polls that are new . Any construction look at the one guy on his jobsites .

Comment

• Jethro355
                Jethro355 commented
                Editing a comment
                Literally any turned soil or gulley catches my attention....😳

I know right . There is this place they are building an over pass up by Ft. Benning with piles 3 stories high of dirt . Then to add to the complete heart attack and sickness going over my body because I can’t go look there .... there is a River next to it .
              I literally have to look away when I pass it . I start saying ok I’ll put on a hard hat or get one of Wayne’s welding hoods and just show up like I work there wandering around till someone spots me . Oh sorry wrong place I was suppose to see Mr Hinkel . Ok how about a kayak and ran out of energy .
              if Wayne hears one more story he is going to drop me off at the nut house .

Comment

Working...
              X