Large Spear head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large Spear head?

I'm trying to get more information on what seems to be a large spear head I found in 1983 around the Leakey, Texas area. I haven't seen anything like it before and was wondering if anyone could provide any details.

Wow! That's massive. I have no clue what it is though. It doesn't look like it has a hafting area. Could you post a side profile so I can see the thickness please?
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

its very thick here you go.

Comment

Man, that is big! I remember Ron, (One of our knappers on the forum) made a Kerryville knife that looked thick at the base. I don't know if it's a Kerryville knife, but it does look very old. It looks like a knife of some sort. I'll have to see what the others think.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

It looks like a big ol" knife used for some heavy duty work. Many such relatively crude large pieces like this are not classified as to type. If it is a known type, it is unknown to me. Looks kinda like it may not have been finished to final form.Nice find though.

Comment

I’d call it a beautiful chopper, which was a multi purpose tool, awesome artifact
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Kentucky point
              Kentucky point commented
              Editing a comment
              That's awful long for a chopper. But it is multi-purpose. All in all, just awesome!

• OnewiththewilD
              OnewiththewilD commented
              Editing a comment
              Not at all, they come in all sizes

• OnewiththewilD
              OnewiththewilD commented
              Editing a comment
              If anything it’s awful big for a knife

The damage is all on the bit end btw
            call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Wonder what that lithic is. I sure looks nice. Bet it's heavy too.
              Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

It is I just weighed it 360 Grams.

Comment

I'd say with the lack of secondary edge work and the presence of a hinge along one side, it probably wasn't a projectile point or knife of any sort. Likely a chopper or preform. If you look at the top right of the first picture you can barely see some of the good Edwards Chert color peeking out from behind the patina.
                  Kevin - North/Central Texas

Comment

I can see either a chopper or preform as others have said.
                    South Dakota

Comment

Beautiful patina on that chopper. Real nice artifact.
                      Michigan Yooper
                      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Any idea on the age of something like this? A rough estimate maybe?

Comment

No way of telling how old it is really. It is in a stage of reduction. Blades and points were made in stages of reduction to make the preforms thin . Looks to me like this one was just discraded. All the work appears to be random percussion and those stacks near the base look to me like they kept trying to reduce it but it just kept stacking up. If you cannot thin it out after several attempts it is time to get another hunk of flint and work out what you had in mind to make. Click image for larger version  Name:	wy1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	326462
                          Last edited by Hoss; 10-18-2018, 06:37 PM.
                          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Really Really old Edwards flint... Heavy patina coming back on that chopper!
                            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Working...
                            X