Antler flaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antler flaker?

My trip to go to Lexington today was canceled. Bummer. But I have been digging (aka burrowing into a pile of old rocks and rusty iron blobs) into my collection, and I pulled this out. I found it in GA, a few months ago, in the Mississippian camp I was searching. I kicked this up out of the sand. There were other bones scattered throughout the camp. These were old bones, almost crumbling. Mostly rib bones, crushed leg bones etc. Oh, these are deer bones, not people bones. I should have clarified. Anyway, this was in the dead center of the camp, in a pile of pottery sherds and close to a pile of smashed oyster shells. I didn't post it until now because I thought it was just nothing. But now that I look at it, I am just not sure. Any Ideas? Also, if it is something, how do I preserve it? It is a little soft for my liking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1357.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	326445 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1358.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	326446

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

I would say yes you have a flaker there.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Ethan, I agree that it is a pressure flaker. Why else would it be removed from the rack? Very cool artifact.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Gomer's Solution works Great
        This forum is packed with useful information. At least four different members recommended using Gomer's Solution to preserve shell and bone artifacts. I mixed some and used it on a few artifacts, and the results are great: It didn't change the color of the artifacts and did not leave them with a shinny finish.
        P.S. Gomer's Solution is one tube of Duco Cement mixed with one pint of Acetone.

Name:	Gomer.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	326464
        Michigan Yooper

Comment

Nice score ..don't ya just love when ya go thru old stuff and discover an artifact? .. that's cool . But looks delicate
          SW Connecticut

Comment

im going to disagree with the other members,i dont see any use wear on the tip in those pics

antler tines wear kind of quick when pressure flaking from the force needed to dislodge flakes

if you could post pics of the end of the tine,you might be able to change my mind
            but until then,im sticking with my assumption

Comment

Originally posted by sneakygroundbuzzard View Post
              im going to disagree with the other members,i dont see any use wear on the tip in those pics

antler tines wear kind of quick when pressure flaking from the force needed to dislodge flakes

if you could post pics of the end of the tine,you might be able to change my mind
              agree
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Regarding this antler tine.Probably will never know what it was used for. Maybe it was never used for anything. Got lost first on its way home from the antler tine store. Maybe it was intended to be used in making points and maybe not.In that case I'd rather have a brand new one than one that's all beat up. Also, back in my old hunting days I cut off a few antler tines. Never did use them to knap points. But I could've.Just some thoughts from the old sailor.

Comment

It's obvious that the antler tine has been significantly degraded by years of weathering. Look at how much material is missing from the base. Are you sure that you could still see use wear on this old antler tine? Fresh antler tines on the deer I see have antler tines that are much more pointed than that. (Food For Thought)
                  Michigan Yooper

Comment

• Kentucky point
                    Kentucky point commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It looks worn to me.

Name:	DSC_1363.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	326703
                  Originally posted by sneakygroundbuzzard View Post

I am sorry I took so long to respond. I was gone all morning. Here's what you need.

Comment

thanks for the pic
                    but ya,im still sticking to my guns on that it was not used as a flaker.
                    just not seeing the wear that i see on ones that i and friends have used for pressure flaking work

Comment

• sneakygroundbuzzard
                      sneakygroundbuzzard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Joe,i m aware that it may have been intended for use as a flaker.
                      which is why i said that it doesnt show use that shows it was used as such.

it could also just be a tine that is busted off a decaying shed(which is what i truly think it is,from looking at the break)
                      shed antlers that are starting to decay or dry out dont make good flakers,and they break a lot easier than a good undried antler
                      good antler wont break the way that tine is broken,but dried out shed will
                      just my very humble opinion

• Ron Kelley
                      Ron Kelley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If that was the case then why is there only one tine? The amount of antler that is missing could be from decay and not breakage.

• sneakygroundbuzzard
                      sneakygroundbuzzard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      easily explained Ron,rodents or other critters either dragged the rest away or gnawed on it until it was gone.
                      if you look close at the pics of the tine,you can see a few chew marks on it.

personally i dont think the tine is old enough to even be considered an artifact.
                      once again,my humble opinion on the matter.
                      i will leave it at that

KP, other bones of deer there boom lol??
                    Professor Shellman
                    Tampa Bay

Comment

• Kentucky point
                      Kentucky point commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mostly smashed up leg bones and rib bones. The only other bone was a bady mangled up skull off towards the edge of the camp.

Ok my 2 cents . When I find an old shed in Georgia the coons get to it, rats etc and they always have chew marks on them like that . Love the calcium .

Comment

I don't see any tooth marks on them. But if it helps, it might be plow damage.

Comment

Hey I just posted under show and tell a chip collection and one of many for you ... well you might have somthing with that antler .

Comment

Working...
                        X