New Find Today--What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Find Today--What is this?

I found this today in a cliff embankment. It has lots of scars on it and looks to have been calcified over at some point. Do y'all reckon it was man made and if so what do you think it was used for? Thanks for all the insight always. I appreciate it.

looks natural to me
    but what do i know

it looks like a chert/flint amoeba
    just a weird shape of chert/flint

where was this found?
    kind of looks like some texas material from what i can see in the pics

Comment

The last pic, when enlarged, shows a chip off the lower right end that reveals what appears to be chert as sneaky says. But as for overall shape, I'd say it's the core material. The shape is unusual but I've seen chert nodules here on the mountain that comes in all shapes and sizes.
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Looks like amoeba chert to me.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Most of those "scars" on it have similar semicircular marks....kinda looks like fossiliferous (shell?) softer stone dissolved off a chert nodule. Might be glossy inside or not.. Maybe a spot on the cliff wall that has that type of material in it?? Neat thing.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

pretty cool find I agree looks like flint amoeda to me as well.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
            X