Possible point? Flake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible point? Flake?

Found on a Rhode Island beach..last pic is the point over a long stem triangle pic out of the typology new england book I thought looked close to a match?

Don't forget to read the point description in the typology book as well as look at the shape, Emaner. There may be some details in the description that will help you formulate a better identification, like concave base, serrated edges etc. I had a near perfect, very small triangular point that I was gonna call a Yadkin because it closely matched the description. Then Johnny (willjo) replied to my post that I should check the Mississippian triangles because most of the Yadkin's he had were larger than what I had posted. So I went back and did some size comparisons and he was right. I'm looking more at the Hamilton because it more closely matches the size and thickness criteria.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I'll check that out for sure asap..good eye scorpion!

Comment

It looks like a rough point to me. I am not familiar with New England types. Maybe Jay would know.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

It does look like the lithic Attleboro Red rhyolite. I can't quite tell if it's a broken artifact, as opposed to a flake. What's the cross section look like looking down at what would be the tip end? It's possible, but I can't quite make the call one way or another yet. To me, it looks most like a base in the first pic.
          Rhode Island

Comment

I think this is the pic you're looking for Charlie

Comment

I think it’s just a rough reduction flake, I’m not seeing any secondary work on it.
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Originally posted by Emaner377 View Post
                I think this is the pic you're looking for Charlie
                Yeah, that is what I wanted to see. I would lean toward flake, but that is one of our more common regional lithics found on our local beaches. As far as work, our water worn conditions can make that a tough call even when it's obviously a point, but the second pic in your first set of photos made it seem doubtful it was a base.

Rhode Island

Comment

Next time I see Jay I'll have to take it with me just to make sure! Thanks for the response guys!

Comment

I woulda saved that too ...but I noticed in lots a you guys beach finds how rounded the edges are
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                    X