Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First coupla days with my face to the ground... (Kinda long-winded)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First coupla days with my face to the ground... (Kinda long-winded)

Just like a "millenial" with a cell phone.. Gives me a "crick".

This was in the Southern Piedmont of North Carolina in Richmond County near the PeeDee River about 15 mins South of the Uwharries.

Walp, let's give this a shot.. I've been reading... and reading... and reading. Watched a pile'o'videos. 'Cause I know my hunt club was an Indian hot spot. Only thing is the older members knew that, too. And they've collected a good bit of it over 40 or so years. The sad thing being that as they've died off their kids generally sold off the the old man's collection. Far as I know there's only one of'em left and he's s'posed to be bringin in a few cases to show some samples of what he's found there over the years.
    ..So now here's me out rummaging the place now to see if they left me anything after all that research. Best I can tell nobody has been in the creeks or rivers. Mebbe that'll help if there's anything to what the SenecaRelics guys say. I will say that if nothin else I've been seriously entertained by their shenanigans. Anyways, I was headin to somma that "high ground next to water" when the 4 wheeler started "crunching" down the 2 track. Low-and-behold here were spalls spilled all out in the road and the surrounding area (I never knew what they were before). I mean the fool things are EVERYWHERE I look. So being a master sleuth, I figger mebbe I best get off muh behind and have a look-see. And prolly like every other noob, started picking up anything that looked remotely "worked". After an hour or so and a pocket full of spalls diggin in my leg I had a coupla broke tips and several of what I think are scrapers. So I chuck out some of the spalls and right in front of the 4 wheeler lays a complete in the middle of the road. How weird is that? A "happy dance" ensues since it's my first arrowhead on my first day knowingly looking. I roll over the hill to where I was originally goin and there in the ditch lays this "magnum" broke. Nice to find but mighty heartbreaking.
    ..Anyways, ran outta light and the next day rode a lot of places that may be promising and stopped anywhere I tripped over something resembling "material". I'm thinkin rhyolite or somethin similar for this area. Kinda black or real dark blue with white-ish specs innit. Found a few other sites. seems anything kindof in the area of the river and the big creek that was high-ish ground held somethin, anyways.
    Hurricane Michael still has water levels a l'il high but I did manage to check a few rock bars. No points or "evidence", but I did find a coupla "suspicious" lookin rocks I figgered didn't cost me anything to drag outta the woods or toss back into'em. So I'll make an attempt at posting a few pics of the assorted mess.
    Here goes nothin. d:^)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HawgBonz; 10-20-2018, 09:24 PM.
    Lexington to the Sortof Southernmost Uwharries of NC. Jake..

Nice collection ya got there! Its a shame about the heartbreaker.
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hey there welcome to arrowheads.com You have a pretty good knack for story telling. Thanks for joining us.I think what you found in the first three pictures is just a river rock. It does not look like a man made artifact to me. You did find some other great finds.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hey Hawg that's a good haul for your first try at huntin artifacts looks like a good spot man
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by Kentucky point View Post
          Nice collection ya got there! Its a shame about the heartbreaker.
          I'll take it. For a first trip, anyways.. Least I didn't get skunked.

Hoss- What got me about those 2 was that they didn't look like anything else around there in some respects. The "knife" lookin rock looked like it may have been ground pretty evenly on both sides. Or mebbe that was just what was stickin out in the water wherever it had been stuck.
          The long pointy one wasn't much special 'cept it fit a hand perfect and has a l'il thumb groove in just the right place. Plus, it was not far downstream from that l'il spall-laden joint I rolled thru earlier.
          I'm a skosh paranoid I might leave somethin outta ignorance. So I'd rather hump a l'il junk around than figger out later I left somethin worthwhile sittin . With my CRS I'd be SOL. Hehehe. d;^)
          Thanks, y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by redrocks View Post
            Hey Hawg that's a good haul for your first try at huntin artifacts looks like a good spot man
            I'd really like to have seen the artifacts the seniors had found previously. I hear it was pretty impressive.
            They're clear cuttin the top of one of the "mountains" now but I think it's a little far from water.
            Still tho'. I'll prolly end up sunburnin' muh neck again. 'Least till the water subsides a bit. d:^)

Comment

Loving your campfire story here . Good idea you did the research , you got a head start on what to look for . Man that one is a heart breaker . Nice solid find on the other one .
              I have the same story . Our hunting ground ( deer) has a camp and they use to pull out 5 lb buckets in a day 50 years about . The stuff we pick up they threw back . But HB there is still plenty to find . I am in Georgia when hunting and I think they will be talking about us some day until they start pulling up towns in 500 years .

Comment

HB, some rocks just fit in the hand like a kid glove & so we like to think they are an artifact. Keep reading & studying & you’ll soon learn to spot the difference. Many of us have driveways paved with hopeful false leads.
                Child of the tides

Comment

Originally posted by Havenhunter View Post
                  HB, some rocks just fit in the hand like a kid glove & so we like to think they are an artifact. Keep reading & studying & you’ll soon learn to spot the difference. Many of us have driveways paved with hopeful false leads.
                  I'm sure there's gonna be a pile for the planter. Hehehe.
                  I've been havin a grande time imagining "the old ones" hangin around arguing point shape and sizes. Mebbe somethin kinda like my old friends and I used to "discuss" the pros-n-cons of different bullet/cartridge combinations for various tasks. Or not.
                  Headed back down to the club for a few days.. d:^)

Comment

Walp, if nothin else this place had plenty of different types come thru. Or mebbe just a regular stop. Who knows.
                    An assortment of "pieces parts". Not a complete in the bunch.
                    Kinda tough tryin to figger out what they are. Mebbe my "search-fu" ain't hittin on too much. d;^)
                    I'll keep pokin around..
                    Added some insitu pics. Had a few I remembered NOT to lunge like a linebacker after a loose football, anyways. d;^)

Attached Files
                    Last edited by HawgBonz; 10-26-2018, 07:11 AM. Reason: Added Insitu pics

Comment

• Broken Arrow
                      Broken Arrow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a nice bunch of artifacts there. Looks like you've came across alot in a short amount of time. That circular knife/scraper thing in the top right is pretty cool. I really like that point in the middle row just right of center, and those two pieces in the bottom right. If you're wanting some help with typing them, you should post some nice pics of them, individually, in the what did I find section. We all love seeing new finds and assisting with identifying them.

• HawgBonz
                      HawgBonz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I thought that l'il dude in the far lower right corner looked like some slacker tryin to make a flake into somethin'. Hehehe. There's a pile of stuff I picked up just cause I made up a story for it in my head when I saw it. This is gonna make a mess around the house. d;^)
                      The round gizmo in the upper right is beveled on both sides and mebbe a skosh over .375" thick. Somebody took time to make it on-purpose and had a job in mind for it, I think.

Those are nice finds ..that's some nice material you got down there. Keep kicking Hawg
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

• HawgBonz
                      HawgBonz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yessir! And congrats on your MOTM! Loved your story about the roof top find. d:^)
                      I've got a broken broomstick with a screw in the end of it for flippin rocks. Saves some back strain, I reckon. Good for whackin at those sawtooth briars that infest the hunt club, too.
                      The majority of what I find is made from rhyolite, I think.

Hey Hawg thanks for the congrats man yeah I got an old ski pole to flip Rock's with ..saves the back. Yeah rhyolite makes some nice artifacts
                    SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                    X