Very Nice Hardstone Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Nice Hardstone Find

As usual back on the construction sites and found this celt but doesn’t look like your normal celt. I did find a few things online that kind of resembles it and they called it a chisel. Is that what I found? The bit has minor damage and the other end has a chip but still an awesome piece! No insitu because I was walking along and saw a piece of it and just grabbed it thinking it was nothing and blew my mind when I saw what it actually was. Do you think it is made of granite? The link below is the other finds I have found on this site. Thanks for any input and having a look. My pictures got out of wack, sorry! The shiny pictures are when I wet it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	6FDE3EB8-B7FA-4FAB-85AD-B7137C6F5416.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	46.3 KB ID:	327458 Click image for larger version  Name:	C5DF13E3-7E46-4EBE-A05F-46106BE9C706.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	68.7 KB ID:	327467

Click image for larger version  Name:	B0F70A50-3A43-4CBF-A8A4-BBF8ACC70629.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	327465 Click image for larger version  Name:	AB40787E-25F4-4301-AB98-2D91EAA482F8.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	76.8 KB ID:	327466 Click image for larger version  Name:	CE469787-0A6F-4697-A4FD-58BF9AF31487.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	327462 Click image for larger version  Name:	B4E44991-B772-4BAF-8F0E-3CFE175E2797.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	327459

Click image for larger version  Name:	4FE66EDA-582E-4F9F-9629-5F13892E6A1B.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	90.1 KB ID:	327461
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MidTennHunter; 10-23-2018, 03:44 PM.

Link to other finds from this site:

Here is another construction site I go to to look for arrowheads, I mean actually check erosion. It is on the Harpeth River but is coming to end for looking

Comment

OUTSTANDING!

That is an exceptional piece! Ceremonial, not practical! Wow!

I think you need a hunting partner. I know just the guy too! (Hint: He's me)

Last edited by Kentucky point; 10-23-2018, 04:51 PM.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• MidTennHunter
        MidTennHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        You may be right in saying ceremonial. Didn’t think about that. Thanks and come on down.

That is super cool, not sure I have ever seen one of those before, thanks for the education.

Comment

• MidTennHunter
        MidTennHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven’t either and did quite a bit of googling after I found it. Thanks

Nice. I'd say thats more of a pick than a celt.

Comment

• MidTennHunter
        MidTennHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Didn’t think about a pick. Thanks I’ll look that up.

very cool find indeed
      are both ends sharpened on that piece?

Comment

• MidTennHunter
        MidTennHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes both ends. The wide end is 1 1/8” wide and the small end is 3/8” wide but yes sharpened.

damn! that’s really nice!! can I have it?? lol
      Southern Connecticut

Comment

• MidTennHunter
        MidTennHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a lot! I’ll have to pass on giving it up. It’s going to be another one that will end up being my son’s.

• cgode
        cgode commented
        Editing a comment
        Dad? 😂

• MidTennHunter
        MidTennHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Good one! I think I only have one. 🤔

Sweet find congrats man
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Dang man, you're killing it great find.

Comment

• MidTennHunter
        MidTennHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been, I won’t mind if it keeps happening...Thanks

What a great find. I looked into a lot of different celts back when I found mine earlier in the summer. I have to say, I didn't see anything like that. Super cool find. My guess would also be a chisel, But to be that narrow is crazy. I'm going to be going back to that picture repeatedly. Can't get over that thing.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        That thing is so nice, I overlooked the other celts. Those are nice as well, even if they are chipped a little. Hard to find.

Thanks, really appreciate it. I know, I looked at a lot of pictures online and didn’t come up with much. The one thing that SneakyBuzzard brought up asking if both ends were sharp and they are so probably wouldn’t be a chisel with it not having a flat end.
      The other pieces that I grouped together with it were previous finds from the same site.

Comment

Awesome find, my guess is a very fine adze or Celt, and it mostly likely went thru a hole in a handle
        Last edited by OnewiththewilD; 10-23-2018, 06:52 PM.
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't you think its a little long to be a celt? I was thinking some weird looking spud.

• MidTennHunter
          MidTennHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for checking it out and making it clear of how it was secured. Too bad the handles never make it...I guess in some rare occasions they have but not anywhere near me.

The taper made it so that it snugged itself into the handle with each whack but didn’t pass thru.

Comment

Yes, a dandy celt for sure. A very nice find and one to treasure. The bit end does suggest a particular use as an adz or something else was intended if that indeed was its final form and not lost before final finishing. Many of the celts we find and all the ones that I found had bit ends that were worked so that both sides of the bit looked the same.The bit end is not so heavily ground in one direction that I would call it anything more than a celt. Many celts had many uses from wood working tools to "tomahawk" type clubs. As far as "ceremonial" I kinda doubt that. Many of the finds you are showing us from that site look like late Woodland to me and some look to be made from greenstone.I can't tell from the pic what lithic this tool was made from. Although,having said that, some of the points that you have shown us look older. It also goes without saying that many sites that we hunt were used as camps or villages over periods of several thousand years.

Comment

• MidTennHunter
            MidTennHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you so much for your reply and your time and knowledge you are willing to share. It is greatly appreciated!

Yeah definitly nothing ceremonial, it’s such a loose term I think rarely applies to things.

Comment

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            It just looked way to long and thin to be anything practical. Wouldn't it break?

• OnewiththewilD
            OnewiththewilD commented
            Editing a comment
            Well it’s not broke is it? Lol

• Kentucky point
            Kentucky point commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm. Ya, got me there.
        Working...
        X