What IS THIS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IS THIS???

Can ANYONE please tell me what kind of basket this is and where it may have come from? Would like to know the country of origin, the people who made them and about the time period they were made, IF possible! When I first saw it, the first thing that came to my mind was a hornet's nest. But when I looked closer, I realized that it is some kind of a hand crafted basket, made from all natural materials. Now, I'm thinking that maybe it's a snake basket, but from where??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1495b.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	327549

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1496a.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	327551

Comment

Name:	DSCN1497a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	327553

Comment

Name:	DSCN1501a.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	327555

Comment

Name:	DSCN1503a.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	327557

Comment

Name:	DSCN1504a.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	327559

Comment

The 'skin' of this 'basket' reminds me of corn husks. However, the leaves are much larger than corn husks normally are. My second thought was maybe it's some kind of bark. But, honestly, I don't know what it is. I am truly puzzled over this item, all together. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1507a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	327561

Comment

Where and how did you come across this item?
                Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Granz_Biz
                  Granz_Biz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I found it in an old antique shop in Kentucky, today.

It would be a dangerous snake basket, seeing as it doesn't have a lid to it..
                Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Granz_Biz
                  Granz_Biz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, it certainly would be. That is one main reason that I question it's purpose. Every 'snake basket' that I've seen, even those overseas, have lids.

It looks like it was made with corn leaves and husks or some kind of very broad leafed grass or other plant. What is it lined with, is it lacquered or sealed with wax on the inside or outside? What is the cordage made out of? I've not seen much like it that weren't one of a kind folk art items. Could have been someone's garden basket or a homemade birdhouse but the birdhouse suggestion might be a stretch. Another possibility is that it was a mixed media art project, possibly made by a high school or college student.. Are there an initials on it? It is a neat piece but I get a funny feeling looking at it.
                Stagger Lee/ SE Missouri

Comment

• Granz_Biz
                  Granz_Biz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a thought! Thank you! I'll check to see what I might be able to find.

• Broken Arrow
                  Broken Arrow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're welcome. If you could find out the name of the guy from michigan, you may be able to find out things about his collection and collecting habits, it may help you retrace his life a bit and maybe where he came across his items. Let us know what you turn up, I'd be interested to hear what you can find out about it.

• Granz_Biz
                  Granz_Biz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Will do!

Did the guy that sold it to you look anything like this?

Comment

• SDhunter
                  SDhunter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ok, thatโ€™s funny. Good timing with Halloween coming

Puzzle may be solved. This is possibly a Hawaiian folk art palm sheath basket made from manila palm or royal palm leaves or leaf sheaths, and carefully stitched and ornamented with other natural plant materials. They are an adaptation of indigenous basket-making arts and crafts and became popular as tourist items in the 1950s and 1960s.

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the update/follow up!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
              Working...
              X