North Texas creek find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Texas creek find

Please let me know what this is? I read the stem point has been found deeper in the ground than the Clovis. I found it in a private stretch of creek in north texas with owners permission.
    it is a uniface piece made from a type of chert I am not familiar with. 2.5inches long missing the very tip of the point.
    Any ideas of type of point?
    thank you!

It looks like a Motley, but the area is off. Kings fits as well , the creek has taken a toll on the condition. Not sure about the material.
    east Tx.

Comment

• ILArti23
      ILArti23 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your time to rate my find. I always want to know more.

It’s nice, but it’s not older than Clovis.
    South Dakota

Comment

• ILArti23
      ILArti23 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not thinking so but I am just 10 miles from a Clovis find so I got a little excited

I don't know the area so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but going from what I can see in the pics, you might want to look into a Val Verde or a Nolan. Looks like the base might be broke, that will make an id harder. You said it was uniface but it looks bifaced.
    Central Ohio

Comment

Looks like an Edwards.
      Check out the g10’s from Spiro mounds (overstreet’s, p 681 current edition)...not far from you and very similar, imagine one turned in a creek for a millennia or two...
      likely woodland in origin.

could be a Dahl Stemmed also(page 672)??

VERY nice find.👍👍
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• ILArti23
        ILArti23 commented
        Editing a comment
        Whoa! I looked up the mounds themselves and I found one that looks a lot like it!! Thank you for helping me with the location! Spiro Mounds looks like it is a huge place! With trade the way it was maybe it made it's way here by trade?
        Absolutely amazing. Thank you!

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        The Spiro center is pretty spectacular, and the artifacts found there are second to none. North Texas is a hop skip and a jump from there, and the Caddo were extremely wide ranging in their territories.

I'd say It was out of context,, but a nice Find!
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve almost quit with the context, after the Clovis I have from north Arkansas, nothing seems to be in “context” any more. I think prehistoric man traveled much more than we realize.

• JoshinMO
        JoshinMO commented
        Editing a comment
        It shouldn't be below Paleo is what I'm saying.

Nice point... congrats
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
      X