Boat stone or effigy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat stone or effigy?

I found this recently and would love your feedback since no one around here can agree on what it is. There are drawings all over it.....lines and boxes etc. I believe it’s greenstone. It looked so much like a turtle shell I almost didn’t pick it up in the beginning but I’m glad that I did. It has a groove that goes over the entire top and a small circle in the top that doesn’t go all the way through. There are two holes, one on each end of it.

I forgot to say this in my original post but it reminds me of a Spanish helmet and there are many known historical Spanish missions sites near this find

Comment

Wow , I don’t have a clue about it.....It’s really a good whatchmacallit !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I thought it looked like a helmet as well, but that’s all I can add at the moment.
        South Dakota

Comment

Please tell us the county and state of find? Did you find it in a field or creek or dig it up?
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Plaincrazy
            Plaincrazy commented
            Editing a comment
            Jefferson County, Florida (private property) water find

Is there any way to get a good picture of the “drawings” on it? If they are engraved, you can probably take chalk or soapstone and rub on it, then lightly wipe the surface, leaving the indentations whiter than the surface, making pics possible...
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Hoss
            Hoss commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks like chlorite It aint a good idea to rub on it at all. Maybe better to use talcum powder then whipe the high spots off leaving powder in the indentations.

• Plaincrazy
            Plaincrazy commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ll try to upload better pictures of the markings. There are a lot on both sides. I’m getting an error that my file size is too big

It isn't natural. That's for sure. As to what it is, I couldn't tell ya.
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That’s a really nice boatstone. I’ve seen some flared/helmet like examples from South Georgia that look similar.
            Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Nice find... Unusual
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Very nice find, congrats on that
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Plaincrazy
                  Plaincrazy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks 😊

That's killer! I'd call it a boatstone.

Comment

• Plaincrazy
                  Plaincrazy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks!

So how was this used? I don’t understand the way it would be attached.
                South Dakota

Comment

Here is some info on boat-stones http://www.peachstatearchaeologicals...28-boat-stones
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Plaincrazy
                    Plaincrazy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the information 😊

Now thats an amazing find Id call it a find of a Lifetime. Its probably going to be Soap Stone does it feel greasy or slick? Id say its a turtle effigy of sorts. I see Tally marks on the rim of the shell. I have never found anything that nice in my 7 years of looking. Do you belong to any artifact groups? Thats something that needs to be published. Thanks for sharing it with us
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

• SDhunter
                    SDhunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with that. Should be published

• Plaincrazy
                    Plaincrazy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How would I publish it?

It’s gorgeous!

Comment