Type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type?

Id like to put a name to this one. The area I found it I find Archaic to Mississippian period it was found in a creek so anything is possible. Just never know how long it was traveling for and the creeks here are like small rivers and private property to the land owners. This creek runs at least 25 miles long and is anywhere from 6 inches to 10 feet deep and at least 10-20 ft wide it does flow over the banks a few times a year and the banks are 10 ft tall. So with all of that current certain times of the year. Its ground on the base and part way up the sides. Its the only 1 I have ever found like it. Looks like it might of had ears on it at one time.Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12460.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	332334 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12370.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	332335 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12371.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	332336 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12355.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	332337 Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC12352.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	332338 Personal find N GA. Thanks any help would be great.
    NW Georgia,

Very cool blade Glenn. I wonder if this was a turkey tail that was rebased?
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I am going to go out onto a limb here. Beaver Lake?
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats not a terrible guess I have heard it before but the flaking really shows different. I wonder what the color would of been if it wasnt stained.

It sure is a beautiful find congratulations, wish I could help with type but it would only be a guess.
      N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Candy creek

Comment

Hi SH. It looks kinda like a Connerly to me. Although Connerlys usually have a slightly incurvate base and this point looks to have a more straight base, I don't think that necessarily disqualifies it from consideration. Is the cross section flat on both sides or is it plano-convex? The base appears to have been thinned. Is it heavily ground smooth? I can't tell from the pics. Connerlys are mid to late Archaic and are known from north Georgia. Another point that it looks very similar to is the Red Ochre. It also is found in north Georgia according to the Peach State Arch. society. Red Ochres are supposedly late Archaic to early Woodland. I would check those 2 out. You can see pics of them at projectilepoints.net and on the Peach State A.S. website as well as in the Overstreet manual. Whatever it is it is not a Candy Creek or a Beaver Lake.

Comment

No idea of the type ,I’d do as suggested above... If is sweet !
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
              Very cool blade Glenn. I wonder if this was a turkey tail that was rebased?
              I was hoping you would of seen one like it and knew what it was. I have a friend that has been collecting for over 20 yrs in this area and has never seen one before. Just my luck find one with a fishtail look and nobody in the area has ever seen one like it. I dont believe it shows Paleo flaking though.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
                Hi SH. It looks kinda like a Connerly to me. Although Connerlys usually have a slightly incurvate base and this point looks to have a more straight base, I don't think that necessarily disqualifies it from consideration. Is the cross section flat on both sides or is it plano-convex? The base appears to have been thinned. Is it heavily ground smooth? I can't tell from the pics. Connerlys are mid to late Archaic and are known from north Georgia. Another point that it looks very similar to is the Red Ochre. It also is found in north Georgia according to the Peach State Arch. society. Red Ochres are supposedly late Archaic to early Woodland. I would check those 2 out. You can see pics of them at projectilepoints.net and on the Peach State A.S. website as well as in the Overstreet manual. Whatever it is it is not a Candy Creek or a Beaver Lake.
                I will look at those and see if they match. I would say it has a slight grinding I found a Big Sandy this year that has more base grinding than this one does. I also found one I feel is close to the same base in a different creek and it has a broken tip but I took a pic of both maybe the other one will ring a bell for you. I feel like maybe you are on the right track. The creek flows from the south to the north but I really dont know how long the creek is I hunt the end of it No fluting and we do find Copenas in this area someone did say they thought it was some type of that but I cant find a match. Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC13414.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	332520 . Check this new pic and see if they are the same, Thanks
                NW Georgia,

Comment

• sailorjoe
                  sailorjoe commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They appear to be the same type whatever that is. They don't look like Copenas to me. You failed to mention what is the x-sectional form. The broken tip point was broken while in use. They are knives and the person who broke it probably was using it for something it was not intended for just like people do today with knives and they wind up with a broken tip or worse.

The broken one looks to be chipped from Feldspar material wich is a hard rock to knapp and no wonder its broken probably broke while making it
                NW Georgia,

Comment

I'm not an expert by no means but, its very similar to a Sedalia in an exhausted state.

Comment

Thats interesting on the 2 being the same Thanks. Now I just need to find out what the x is you are asking about so I can tell you. I like finding them and do know what some are but still learning over here.
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

Okay had to look that up the small one in question is not plano confex it is flat on both sides but the other with broken tip is. I looked up Connerly and it looks pretty good for the match.
                      NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                      X