Tis a puzzlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tis a puzzlement

This is an old find but I have never posted it and I have no idea what it really is although it is a piece Of soapstone with a circular groove on to one side and a bit of a nipple on the other. Any clues?
    New Jersey

New Jersey

Comment

Prehistoric pacifier?
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I must say the round hole does not look natural. I found a ironite that looks similar ,it has a deep circicular bowl. On mine I can see the drill marks in the ironite.. I know the one I have is a thumb paint mix bowl.. Without seeing yours in person it’s tough to make such a call. Look for circles going down toward the bottom as if it were drilled out... JJ
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Interesting. Anyone know if it's possible for soapstone to blow off a fire popped spall?
          If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• south fork
            south fork commented
            Editing a comment
            Soapstone loves heat .

Maybe a broken pipe bowl ?

Comment

It may remain a mystery
            There is no natural soapstone in South Jersey as far as I know. It came from a woodland site, which is also near a transitional site, right on the beach at low tide. There is some garbage not far up stream in the cliffs, and old but small dump. Anyway, it seems about 3/16' deep in the "hole" there, its pretty flat on top, pretty raw and unpolished on the bottom with the nipple in the middle. Weird.
            Colonial era brass button mold? nah.
            New Jersey

Comment

You got the title right...tis is a puzzlement.
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Olden View Post
                Interesting. Anyone know if it's possible for soapstone to blow off a fire popped spall?
                south fork
                "Soapstone loves heat ."

It does. I was thinking more in the lines of trapped water/ice in the porous areas of the stone meeting up with the fireplace.

Click image for larger version

Name:	porousSoaps..jpg
Views:	79
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	337861
                If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• south fork
                  south fork commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those pits were filled with oxidized minerals and fell out when cut . The host rock has been through freeze and thaw cycles and forest fires and no fire pops for hundreds maybe thousands of years it was laying on the surface of a camp I hunt .

• redrocks
                  redrocks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dennis that's a cool piece

Kayak. As I have a new found love of soapstone. That piece us cool no matter what it is
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
                X