Old find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old find

Between being busy with work and family I have only had time to get out once in the past month. With the leaves everywhere, early darkness and frozen ground it was no wonder I got skunked on my one chance in forever. So I went home and dug through my old artifact pile. Came across the first point I ever found. I realized I still can't identify it even though I know a lot more than I did then. So since I have nothing new to show, I figured I'd ask for opinions on this one. Unfortunately it has a snap base, which will probably make it next to impossible to put a name to it. My best guess would be simply a small Adena blade. Thought about maybe a spike, but that doesn't seem to be quite right. Weak shoulders, narrow point. Any input would be welcomed.
    Central Ohio

Hey Flint. That's s cool point for your first find. ..the only thing around here in CT.that pretty is Jasper.which is rare that unfinished base makes it difficult to id....Nice blade ...I like that flake on one side almost looks like fluteing
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, when I first saw that reduction flake I thought it was a flute, even back then when I knew nothing, I got excited about that. I quickly learned it wasn't what I thought.

That reminds me of a Flint River Spike but they're not found that far north. They're noted for unfinished bases. Just a thought.
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Chuck. I agree with the flint river spike, one of the points I looked into, just being in Ohio, it seems the spikes are more of a southern thing as you said. That base is the thickest part of the point so that seems strange to me. That does go along with your suggestion though.

• Scorpion68
      Scorpion68 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's not unusual for the NA's to have snapped the base on points. I often thought it was to avoid the extra work of grinding the edge to dull it for hafting or the extra work of shaping the shoulders etc. Whatever the reason, you will often find that a snapped base is on of the identifiers.

I think your like me, I having a terrible time with artifact withdrawal ... I need my Adrenalin fix, and I need it bad ! The weather is just wrong but tomorrow Sat, it’s suppose to be waaaay up to 62 degrees with slight sw wind.. I hope I can go out and get my fix... I am a artifact junkie ! JJ
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Are you sure that's not the way the base is originally made? It's not uncommon in my area in New Jersey for a base to his still have cortex or be flat. On Rossville and similar stem point types.
      New Jersey

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        I had considered that, but not sure how you could haft a knife/arrowhead like this. I've also seen some crazy looking crescent breaks that look a lot like this base. However, I think you make a good point that I should revisit that possibility.

Spike looks like a good call to me
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
      X